Windows XP won't open mac video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 20th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Windows XP won't open mac video

HI,
I am designing projections for a play, I designed them on my Mac running OS 10.2.8 but am runnng them off a PC running XP using Powerpoint. I tested out if the transfer would work a month ago on my friend's computer also using XP and it did but now when I try it on the one I will be using the quicktime exports I made won't play. When I didn it the first time I changed teh .mov files to .mpeg files then inmported them into powerpoint. They played with realONE. Now, when I change them to .mpeg realONE won't recognize them, Windows media player says that it is missing a codec and only plays the sound and when I import into powerpoint I only get the audio as well. Can anyone let me know what i am missing. This is a bit urgent seeing as my tech is tomorrow. Thanks alot,

Drew
Drew McElvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

Might sound stupid but have you got the quicktime codec installed on your win XP machine?

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #3
New Boot

Not stupid at all, that has been one of my suspicions actually and I am going to check once I have access to the machine again, if I don't where would I get it? Just download quicktime? There once possible fix any other possibilities if that isn't it?
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Wrangler

You can download the quicktime codec free of charge from Apples website http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Even if you find out that you have got it installed it might be worth re-installing.

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #5
New Boot

I can open the video in quicktime player just not anything else, does this mean that the problem isn't w/ quicktime?
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #6
New Boot

I updated quciktime to 6.5 nothing was fixed, any new suggest
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe technically "Quicktime" is not a codec per se, but a file format. The codec could be any number of different things.

Try this (not sure if this works in the standard, non-Pro version, but it's worth a shot): open the movie in the QT player, go to "Movie", then "Get Movie Properties". From the first drop down list box, select "Video Track", then in the second box (the one on the right), pick "Format". You should see "Data Format" listed, which shows the actual codec used to encode the video. Whatever is listed there has to be installed on the viewer's machine for the video to play.

A quick Google search should yield a place to download whichever one you need. You've apparently already got it for Quicktime, as you can view the video, but you may need it in a different form depending on the player software you want to use.

If all else fails, try encoding with a different codec.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC