A PC buying guide for NLE (mainly Intel) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Trustee

A PC buying guide for NLE (mainly Intel)

A link to a post on the Adobe forums, that may be of interest to those who consider getting a new PC. There have been a number of questions recently on this topic, so I put this together to help in your decision making process.

Adobe Forums: A PC buying guide for NLE (mainly Intel)
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Great guide, Harm. Thanks very much for posting it.

Do you have any thoughts on the upcoming core i5? I've been thinking about building a system around the new stepping of the core i7 920, but have been trying to find out if the core i5 will be a better choice for editing. I'm also concerned that the Socket LGA 1366 seems to be a dead end for upgrading later.

It's tough at the moment to find info that's useful to editing. It's the gamers that seem to be first to check things out, but their focus is not really applicable.

Not sure if my questions are hijacking this thread. It seems applicable...
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Trustee

Vito,

I'll have to read more about the i5 before I can answer that. However, the D0 stepping of the i7-920 is significantly better than the C0/C1 stepping and is now becoming widely available.

Keep in mind that going for the latest and newest on the market also entails risks and often relatively hefty price tags. You end up with the first CPU stepping, the mobo still has a number of bugs or deficiencies in the BIOS, there are few if any reviews on these new motherboards to help in your selection process, etc.

Maybe this link contains the info you are looking for: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3513&p=7

Last edited by Harm Millaard; May 17th, 2009 at 03:56 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
However, the D0 stepping of the i7-920 is significantly better than the C0/C1 stepping and is now becoming widely available.
Yes, everything I've read tells me that. It seems worth making sure you get that stepping.

Quote:
Maybe this link contains the info you are looking for: AnandTech: Intel's 32nm Update: The Follow-on to Core i7 and More
That's a great article. Just the kind of analysis I was looking for.

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC