Best Lightscribe DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Best Lightscribe DVDs

Hi all,

I am looking to get some Lightscribe DVDs to see for myself if I like the printing. I am currently using the TY DVDs and a Sony DVD drive. They work great I use 1.5 min, 4 target and 7Mb as the Max and they have been coming out fawlessly. They do not make lightscribe DVDs. I read that Microboards DVDs were probably the best. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
New Boot

In theory I thought Lightscribe was a good idea... but the time it takes to actually print the disk is way too long. My writer was taking 20 or so minutes. I bought an Epson printer that has CD/DVD support and was much happier.

Just my 2 cents :)
Alan Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Sadly, I think the answer is "there's no such thing." In addition to being slow, the composition of a DVD v. a CD gives the lightscribe DVDs a much paler appearance.

I loved the idea when it first came out, and jumped into an HP unit that eventually stopped working when one of the multiple software packages it used was updated. I even tried again with an external Lacie unit on the mac, but that was problematic too, mainly because of crummy software.

Hate to be such a negative nancy, but there's just not much to like in the lightscribe universe.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Lighscribe DVDs

Yes, I have read a lot about the subject. And most don't like it. But, DVDs (Single layer) are pretty cheep these days so since I have a SATA Sony DVD drive I want to buy a few and try it my self. I use TY DVDs now but they do not make Lightscribe DVDs.

I am pretty sure I am going to get a CD/DVD only printer. See my other thread.

BTW: I have found a setting of 1.5 Min, 4 target and 7Max works the best or me. I tried a Max setting of 8MB and that gave me problems. Starts and stops playing the DVD.

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Verbatim usually makes the best stuff. Think Best Buy has em.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Verbatim does make pretty good disks. Newegg has pretty good prices on Verbatim products.

Regular blank single layer DVDs are indeed getting very inexpensive, but Lightscribe disks carry a considerable premium. You might want to consider inkjet printable disks instead.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC