Best DVD printer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Best DVD printer

Hi,

Let me know if there is a better place to ask this question. I currently have an Epson Stylus Photo 960 which prints on DVDs and they come out looking great if the heads do not clog. Also sometimes the DVD try slips and the printing come out looking like a label was put on wrong.

I am looking into getting a new printer just for printing on DVD in full color. I would like it to be full color, try loading just like you would load a DVD in a DVD drive. So I can put it in and forget about it.

I would appreciate advice also on a printer that will print multiple DVD at a time? It all depends on what is the cost difference. Maybe even a small duplicator but I think that might be out of my price range for now. I think I have to stay around $600.00US Max.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Trustee

For low volume I would opt for a Canon Pixma printer. Better quality than Epson. For higher volume I would have a look at the Rimage printers, but am not sure if it fits your budget. From what I have heard Rimage is top.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Trustee

The only complexity to Harm's suggestion for us Yanks is that Canon have not licensed the disk printing technology in the US. At least they haven't the last I checked. You can find the trays on the Web according to others.

I have an Epson and have never had a head clog issue, and I've printed over 200 disks and DVD sleeves with it with great results to my eyes. That said, Harm's a smart cat and if he says the Canon's have better quality I'd believe him.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Canon Pixma here.....

Remove the little plastic cover, and buy a tray if necessary...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #5
Trustee

IIRC there have been numerous posts here on where to get these trays and what software adjustments were needed in the Canon printers to make them work in the US. It was some time ago, but a search may reveal these old posts. This was before the Pixma line came out, so maybe a look for Canon i865 will lead you to the correct thread.

Although Rimage may well be the best printer, it is way out of the budget.

If you search on Google for "Canon DVD tray" you will find all the info you need.

Last edited by Harm Millaard; May 27th, 2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Major Player

DVD Printer

Hi,

I just wondered what model you were thinking about?

Thanks,

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
For low volume I would opt for a Canon Pixma printer. Better quality than Epson. For higher volume I would have a look at the Rimage printers, but am not sure if it fits your budget. From what I have heard Rimage is top.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Major Player

DVD Printer

What model of Epson do you have? I have the old by now 960 printer that uses individual ink for each color. I agree that my Epson prints near photo quality. I mean that is when you compare it using a loop to a 35mm print of the same size. It does really excellent printing on the Epson High gloss Photo Paper.

Its great to hear that you have never had a problem with cloging heads. Maybe if yours is a newer one Epson soved the problem. I know that lot of other people have had the head cloging problem. Mine may be that I did not use the printer for a year or two before using it again. The Epsons have built in heads in the printer whereas others like HP have the heads built into the cartridge so the heads are new each and every time the ink is changed.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
The only complexity to Harm's suggestion for us Yanks is that Canon have not licensed the disk printing technology in the US. At least they haven't the last I checked. You can find the trays on the Web according to others.

I have an Epson and have never had a head clog issue, and I've printed over 200 disks and DVD sleeves with it with great results to my eyes. That said, Harm's a smart cat and if he says the Canon's have better quality I'd believe him.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You need to use the Epson regularly, like every few days to make sure the heads do not clog. I have the Epson R220 and the Epson R280 both make excellent DVD prints on TY Watershield or hard coat discs that I use.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
What model of Epson do you have?
It's an 595 which I don't think they make any more. I bought it about two years ago.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #10
Trustee

John,

I would have a look at the Pixma iP4600 or maybe - if A3 printing is of benefit - the Pro9000 or Pro 9500. Realize the latter 2 are significantly more expensive.
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Trustee

I've had an HP Photosmart C5280 All In One printer for over a year now. Cost $159 when I bought it at Circuit City.

Has a single disk tray and with Roxio Creator 9 and 10 I set up my disk labels in PhotoShop then import them as a custom background, kill the default titles, drag some little positioning mark off the disk format and then start printing.

Each one seems to take about one minute or less and I have never had a head clog or problem.

The same machine serves as a standalone copier, a computer driven scanner, and does all the usual printing chores.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #12
Major Player

I have a Canon IP4200, was dirt cheap at $80, printed over 1500 DVDs with it each one perfect, defect free to date. The tray does not auto-feed anymore I have to nudge each one just a little but prints is fine. You are not going to find a printer that does multiple disc's at your price range, those go for around $3000. Your best bet would be to buy multiple cheap printers or find a good supplier that has a Thermal printer that will do your prints for you.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Major Player

DVD Printer

Hi all,

All of you have good suggestions. At one time I did not use my current Epson printer for about 2 years with the ink still in it and when I fired it up again it still worked. I think this is pretty good considering. Right now as I said the red/magenta heads clog from time to time. I recently printed about 8 Discs and DVD inserts, etc. and I got no head clogging after an initial cleaning of a few times. I gently hold/push the tay against the edge of the paper tay to make sure it does not misalign. Even a little misalignment and the DVD does not look very good.

At my local camera store they use a CD only printer that loads the disk as you would a CD in your computer. This is more of what I am looking into. I realize that a Multi CD printer was going to be expensive but if it was going to only cost double then it might be a good investment. I would just like to put the CD in and press print. Then do something else while it prints. I will do some more research when I get back from England.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
Hi,

Let me know if there is a better place to ask this question. I currently have an Epson Stylus Photo 960 which prints on DVDs and they come out looking great if the heads do not clog. Also sometimes the DVD try slips and the printing come out looking like a label was put on wrong.

I am looking into getting a new printer just for printing on DVD in full color. I would like it to be full color, try loading just like you would load a DVD in a DVD drive. So I can put it in and forget about it.

I would appreciate advice also on a printer that will print multiple DVD at a time? It all depends on what is the cost difference. Maybe even a small duplicator but I think that might be out of my price range for now. I think I have to stay around $600.00US Max.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

John Gerard
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I ran my Epson R200 to death over many years.
Had too many problems with Epson's ink-cartridges tho.

Just replaced it with an HP D5460 and I'm very happy with the results EXCEPT:
The disc design software they include really SUCKS.

Luckily I found Acoustica CD Label Maker for $20 which supports direct printing to disc for many models of printers.

Just ran off 120 dvds of a play my son was in for the cast and crew and everyone was very happy....
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Epson R260

Well, my Epson R260 worked (PAST TENSE) just fine EXCEPT for feed issues for about 18 months and then it started ignoring recently changed ink cartridges and is now reporting all cartridges are empty. That's a $100 touch for ink that is now useless. Let me be perfectly clear: I have never and I mean NEVER used non-Epson Ink cartridges, never refilled (or had refilled) the cartridges and never allowed anyone else to use my printer. I will NOT buy another Epson printer for any reason. I've put about 200 - 300 discs through it in that timeframe and less than 500 pages of regular printing.

At my former 9 - 5 we had a 400 series (? - one of the ones with the LCD screen and print from card capabilities) as well as an R200 that gave satisfactory results until they started having feed issues and streaking issues.

I would HAPPILY have paid more money for a better printer but when I was looking, in MY market, there were no other options available so I purchased the $150CDN R260. Next time (which is pretty much immediately), I'll order something in if I need to. Possibly an automated printer/burner.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC