new raid tower dropping frames capturing DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Major Player

new raid tower dropping frames capturing DV

Just picked up one of these 2.0TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4 Bay eS... (MEQX2T2.0S) at OWC Witha Rosewill RC216 eSATA card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132014

Using the eSata interface of the RAID tower, I did some DV capture today... in 1 hr of footage, Vegas reported 10 dropped frames.. what the heck!? I haven't had dropped frames in years.. and that was with my internal 7200RPM non-RAID drives..

What could be causing the dropped frames? bad RAID tower? or bad eSATA interface card? Thanks.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It seems that your eSATA card is not on the list of supported eSATA cards.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah I know, could be a poor quality eSATA card.. but eSATA is not exotic technology and there is no reason why any other eSATA won't work with the tower...

I captured the same tape again, this time into my internal drive. I stacked the two clips and compared the waveform.. there was no lose of sync anywhere! Perhaps Vegas was mistakenly reporting dropped frames? I find Vegas' capture dialog box to be extremely strange. You know the area of the window where it shows dropped frames & timecode - well if I drag the video capture application window from my primary monitor to my secondary monitor, the dropped frames counter resets to zero! I was able to reproduce this consistently everytime. Why does it do this?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
...if I drag the video capture application window from my primary monitor to my secondary monitor, the dropped frames counter resets to zero!
That's one way to solve an issue with dropped frames.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC