Capture Issues - Sound Delay - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
It captures in mpeg and exports to m2t because that's what HDV is -- an mpeg2 transport stream (hence file extensions m2t, mts or m2ts).
I meant that I think that it's odd that it gives the files once extension on capture and a different one on export.

Quote:
Adobe recommends against using external drives unless they are ESata. USB and FW aren't really fast enough to do HDV. Some people report success but it's not recommended.
I'll make a note of that when I pick up a TB drive. I've got an eSata port on my laptop.

Quote:
You are trying to edit HDV on a laptop, and possibly an older and underpowered one at that, using an old version of PPro and capturing to your OS drive that may or may not be big enough or fast enough. As mentioned above, any one of these things can cause problems, and together they spell disaster.
I'm thinking that the issue lies exclusively within PPro, since the problem (the sound not being synced with the file, and occasionally duplicating) don't occur in the Vegas demo or VLC.
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McMahon View Post
I'm thinking that the issue lies exclusively within PPro, since the problem (the sound not being synced with the file, and occasionally duplicating) don't occur in the Vegas demo or VLC.
Well, yeah, as I mentioned way back in post #10, Premiere is a known resource hog and when you have a system that's just on the edge of acceptable, you'll have problems in Premiere that you might not have in other SW... as you are seeing. Fix the other problems and Premiere will likely behave better... but why do that when you can just switch SW to a less demanding NLE?
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McMahon View Post
No, the issue is that your notebook is underpowered, mainly in the disk department. For HDV editing you need 3 disks or more. The problems are further aggravated by using 2.0 under Vista, an unsupported OS. Had you used XP, you might have gotten less problems. Had you upgraded to 4.1, again you might have gotten less problems.

But the cumulation of sub-optimal components (disk, OS, old version, etc.) lead to far from desirable results.

You can't compare a player like VLC to an editor. That is like comparing a client in a supermarket doing his shopping and running a supermarket.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #19
Regular Crew

See my post belowfrom the HD editing forum and see if it is similar. I disabled antivirus during editing and index searching and it solved my issue 99%. Is you video playing back fine while editing?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/high-defi...ck-issues.html
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Video was playing back fine, it was just that the audio was delayed and/or repeated at point.

Anyway, I've since tripled the cache on my HD, moved on to Vegas 9.0 (which is taking some getting used to, but at least .mts is native to it...), and haven't had any issues yet.
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC