Building Computer From Scratch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 12th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Building Computer From Scratch

As several other recent posts, begin, I am just getting into dv editting, running with Pinnacle Studio 8 on a Dell P4 1.4. I am looking to upgrade to my own custom computer and would love to hear opinions on what video cards, mother boards, dual processors, and adobe vs. vegas. etc.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You should decide on Adobe vs Vegas first. Try the demos from the websites to see which program works better for you. Make sure you download the sticky for the Vegas shortcut keys in the Vegas forum.

You can also search old threads discussing which NLE is the best. There should be quite a few of them.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Custom box

For Vegas, here's what we're using...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24064#post167178

Vegas with this set-up renders your standard movies (titles+soundtrack+speaker w compression&eq + crossfades) to MPEG at 2x realtime..

/magnus
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #4
New Boot

RAM & CPU are important, but in my experience, most bottlenecks are disk speed. My Athlon based PC is always waiting on disk read/write whilst rendering, and I run ATA133 disks in a Raid-0 config for speed !
Marcus Keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Magnus,

Thanks that was a lot of good info in that post. Do you in fact use dual screen set-up, would you say that is a necessity or just a level of comfort? Also, how satisfied have you been with Vegas vs. Adobe? What would you say the learning curve is with Vegas? Also a computer whiz friend of man swears by a DVD-RAM for back-ups, what is your opinion.

Thanks,

Joe
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Also a computer whiz friend of man swears by a DVD-RAM for back-ups
DVD-RAM is a dying format. On an old Mac DVD-RAM was excruciatingly slow for backing up video since it was 1X. Maybe new ones are faster but DVD-R/DVD+R makes a lot more sense considering the media is ~$1/disc (see meritline.com).

Firewire drives are also great for backups. It's about $1/GB now.

Quote:
RAM & CPU are important, but in my experience, most bottlenecks are disk speed. My Athlon based PC is always waiting on disk read/write whilst rendering, and I run ATA133 disks in a Raid-0 config for speed !
In Vegas the main bottleneck is CPU speed (for rendering, not copying files) unless you've got your hard drives misconfigured (in PIO mode instead of DMA). Some RAID controllers suck and might actually decrease performance (i.e. VIA RAID controller on the Asus P4P800 boards). RAID isn't necessary for DV.

Joe, did you try the demos? Hopefully you can figure out which one works for YOU. You may not edit the same kind of material as everyone else and one program may make more sense to you. Of course, one NLE might be better once you get past the learning curve. Perhaps you can provide more information on what you want to do and what your budget is.
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Glenn,

That settles my brief consideration of DVD-RAM, thanks for saving me from that mistake.... Now I am bugging a friend of mine to see if he will let me test drive his Adobe Premiere. As for Vegas, which it seems like I am leaning to, price, and people in the forum here seem to swear by it. I hope to play with demo over the course of the next week. Budget well that is negotiable around the $2 k range. Use, I am currently doing some video montage retrospectives for my day job company, the occasional wedding, and a lot of experimenting. I would just like a system to that is upgradedable. Thanks for the good advice thus far.

Thanks,

Joe
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #8
Major Player

>Do you in fact use dual screen set-up, would you say that is a necessity or just a level of comfort?

Dual screen a necessity imho - timeline, tracks, FX-controls.. it gets out of hand on a single display, and just the ability to see a lot more of the timeline helps a lot when re-arranging stuff

>Also, how satisfied have you been with Vegas vs. Adobe?
I have been using premier since v 1.0 on a Mac Quadra ;) and I would say it has "legacy problems" - if you're used to doing things the "Premiere" way then it's probably very good.
Case in point: Premiere has the "razor tool" for splitting a clip, in vegas you hit "S" on the keyboard.
- Vegas loads in 4 seconds, premiere has the standard 30 second "loading this, initiating that, reading plugins, etc" during boot.
-Premiere has "nested" timelines, which is very cool/useful, most likely Vegas will have something similar in new v5 out in a month or so...
-Premiere can preview through a TV-out on a graphics card, Vegas does not use "overlay" so you need a video-device on your Firewire to preview on a TV, Canopus ADVC-100/300/etc or your DV camera with TV-out.
- Premiere used A/B roll editing until "Premiere Pro" version.. duh...

>What would you say the learning curve is with Vegas?
The basics one day (import, insert to timeline, adjust/edit, titles, render)
The matting/masking stuff - as they said about the boardgame "Othello", a minute to learn, a lifetime to master ;)

>Also a computer whiz friend of man swears by a DVD-RAM for back-ups, what is your opinion.
The LG-drive can write DVD-ram in 3x, but I think the best solution must be a Firewire dock for standard IDE harddrives.... and then buy a number of cheap 100 GB not-top-of-the-line harddrives for backing up each major project, switching the disk in the dock ... I have yet to try this though...

good luck!

/magnus
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #9
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

We've got a rteally inforamtive article on our website about building a DIY computer for NLE http://www.videoguys.com/DIY.html

Gary
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
We've got a rteally inforamtive article on our website about building a DIY computer for NLE http://www.videoguys.com/DIY.html
The whole DIY thing gets pretty thrashed out over at this thread at dv.com (registration required)
http://www.dv.com/jive3/thread.jspa?...000573&start=0 It might be getting dated though.

In my opinion you can do better than the videoguys recommended machine.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #11
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Our DIY article is intended aqs a guideline. We also tried to keep the price as close to $1000 as possible. We're planning a DIY NLE KILLER machine for our next article.

We're researching it now. Not sure if we'll go dual Xeon or try for a 64 bit Athlon.

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Joe,
I don't live too far from you. I would be glad to build or help you build your new computer if you'd like. I have built many and built the one I use now for less than 1k. (Not including software)

:)

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #13
Major Player

"How easy is the learning curve for Vegas?"

Example: Producing a 1 hour, 7 section video consisting of stills and video clips. My daughter sat down next to me, watched me do the first 2 sections then banged out the rest by herself, including fades and transitions and titles. All I had to do was go back and complete the little details like softening picture edges.
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Barry,

Thanks for the offer, I am still researching right now and might take you up on the help depending on where I go from here. I think I am going to go the route of collecting components over the next few months (mainly due to monetary reasons) and then assemble it mid-summer (surviving on Pinnacle until then), or atleast that is my goal. I am putting my software decision off til I see the new version 5 of Vegas.

Harry,

Thanks for the leaning curve insight, I am taking that as a positive as long as your daughter does not have a degree from MIT.

Now I am looking at individual components, so please feel free to comment on ASUS motherboards, Radeon Video Cards, and 3200+ AMD processors. I am looking at a single processor system. So comments gallore are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Based on what I learned here I went with the Intel chip and have not regreted it. I have a ASUS mobo but have also used a A-bit board and can't tell any difference in the two. I do use a Radeon video card (9600 I think) but I am not sure about how much that helps/hurts your machines proformance. I would concentrate on the Mobo/Processor and memory most of all, but that's just my 2 cents...

:P

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC