going to buy my new computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 23rd, 2002, 01:45 PM   #1
Wrangler

going to buy my new computer

I'm going to buy my new system this week, and I'd like some opinions on what hardware to get. I've decided that for what I'm doing, I don't need real time gear. I'm probably going to use Premiere as there is lots of support for it and plug-ins readily available. And also because people say it's the most intuitive and easiest of the higher-end NLE's to learn.

I'm trying to go fairly cheap, so I can get a set of Lowel lights AND try and squeeze in an extra miniDV camcorder (to use as a deck) into my budget.

So, here are my questions.

CPU-RAM
How much difference will the processor and RAM make in rendering times? I'm not doing any huge effects. Is 256MB of RAM enough for this? Will 512MB make it go much faster?
Dual processors, for the extra expense vs. speed Yay or Nay?

AMD vs. Intel
Compatibility issues in the future if I am using Avid, or buy a Canopus DV Storm or similar board? Is it a better idea just to get a slightly slower P4 and not have to worry about it?

Capture card: As long as it is OHCI compliant, and besides software that they come with, is there much difference between these?

Video card. Matrox Dual head?

Hard Drive. I'm thinking 40GB system drive and 80GB storage drive. SCSI is not in my budget. What's the fastest I can get?

Sound. I'm not big on integrated sound so I'm thinking a cheap SB Live Value card.

And W2k vs. WinXP, the debate ended with W2K winning, right?

Thanks!
As always, all info is appreciated!
You guys ROCK!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2002, 02:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Also, does anyone from Vancouver know a place that specializes in video editing systems?
Old June 23rd, 2002, 03:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Dylan,

My personal thoughts only, I am no PC guru.

I think it was on a Canopus forum that I read a response to someone "boasting" about his new dual system with 1gig odd of Ram. It was claimed by the respondent that Windows and Premiere were unable to fully utililise the resources he had and consequently the dual CPU's were "tapping fingers" waiting for the slower Ram to feed through a slow bus. He went on to claim that 385Meg ram was all that was required, anything more than that was under utilised. I would go 512Meg. The tone was not sarcastic but he was merely ponting out that at time we buy unwisely. He was not taken to task to either he was right or no one wanted to take him on. WOULD BE INTERESTING TO HEAR WHAT THE GUYS WHO REALLY KNOW AND UNDERSTAND PC'S HAVE TO SAY.

HD's
Don't worry about SCSI, IDE is more than fast enough. It is an advantage to get ones that spin at 7200rpm and not the 5400rpm models.

VIDEO CARD
I am not familiar with the Matrox but have read good reports. I do wish my Voodoo 3 3000 was a bit faster and with more Ram. Don't scrimp on this one.

SCREEN
You did not mention but you would also do well in going to at least 17". Get something decent as you will spend a lot of time staring at it. Rather than having two monitors I use a small portable 13" TV as the other monitor. This to me is a cheaper way of getting a good idea of what the final product will look like.

THE ONE THING I DO KNOW IS THAT SOME MOBO'S HAVE CHIPSETS THAT ARE FUSSY, AND IN SOME INSTANCES DOWNRIGHT UNCOOPERATIVE. IT IS MORE CRITICAL, FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, TO MATCH ALL THE COMPONENTS THAN TO GO FOR THE FASTEST / BIGGEST POSSIBLE ON EVERYTHING. MOBO'S HAVE DIFFERING SLOT CONFIGURATIONS, ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT.

If you choose a Canopus product check their webpage, they have compatibility pages that will let you know exactly what will work with the Storm. Also sometimes it is better to spend a bit more and have someone build the system, according to your spec's, for you. In that way you could avoid costly mistakes.

I cloned my system when at the point of purchase like you. I kept a close eye on the systems as used by DVRaptor users on the Canopus forums. I found one that was within my budget and duplicated it almost exactly but for the HD's. I went for WD rather than Maxtors as these are not supported in South Africa.

I am sure that for each reply you get you may get as many opinions. Whatever you do ensure that all components in your system "match".

My 0.02$ worth.
Good Luck
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2002, 05:13 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Instead of telling you to buy this, or buy that, I will tell you what I have.
AMD 1800+, because I like the fact I can have a fast chip for a lot less. AMDs have always been faithful to me.

Abit KG7 Raid, because it ISN'T Asus. Besides, I have read nothing but good reports on it, and it has the built in raid. It will support at least 2 gig of ram. Once I updated the bios and drivers, it has been rock solid.

GeForce 3 video, because, at heart, I am a gamer and that part demanded a killer card for play time. It's a weakness :)

Canopus DV Storm plus, because it is a card with a great rep, and a breakout box with connections in the front. A big time plus. Besides, the Pinnacle Pro One didn't support Win 2K, and I wasn't about to wait and see.

512 meg of ram, because any less is really not productive for all of the apps I run.

If you can run a second monitor, by all means, do it. With all of the menus Adobe has, you need a second monitor just for them. There are times I can't see what I'm doing without rearranging.
Just my thoughts-
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Leigh : Hi Dylan,

SCREEN
You did not mention but you would also do well in going to at least 17". Get something decent as you will spend a lot of time staring at it. Rather than having two monitors I use a small portable 13" TV as the other monitor. This to me is a cheaper way of getting a good idea of what the final product will look like.

Andrew -->>>

I've got a 27" monitor. :D
I was going to pick up a 17" to use as my second monitor, but I like your point about a TV as well.

I have no plans on building it myself. I think it's well worth the money to have a pro do it and have it be reliable.

Capt Quirk, at heart I'm a hardcore gamer too, but I've quit PC gaming and will not be installing any games on this system. Not even solitare or freecell. I'll never get any work done if I do. :)
Old June 24th, 2002, 05:40 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

When it starts going badly, and it will ( I love Premiere, but...), it helps to blow off a little steam. Set a 15 minute time limit, and consider it a well needed break. Kill some baddies, then go back feeling much better!

Besides, the video card also helps the playback play smoother, which is a cause of glitches when recording to tape.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 02:17 PM   #7
Wrangler

Any other thoughts on where to spend money, where to save?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC