Can you transfer .avi from PC to Camcorder via Firewire? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Tourist

Can you transfer .avi from PC to Camcorder via Firewire?

Is there a way to transfer a movie length .avi file from a PC onto a digital camcorder via the firewire? Any (free) software out there for this purpose?
Mike Digiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes ... BUT.... the AVI must be in (or converted to) a DV format AVI, AND be short enough to fit on your tape (less than 90 minutes is LP mode).

If you have WindowsXP, you can do this for free with Windows Movie Maker (free from Microsoft)

Have fun.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #3
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Jushchyshyn : Yes ... BUT.... the AVI must be in (or converted to) a DV format AVI, AND be short enough to fit on your tape (less than 90 minutes is LP mode).

If you have WindowsXP, you can do this for free with Windows Movie Maker (free from Microsoft)

Have fun. -->>>

Im actually running Win98se

What apps are available?
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow.
I really respect your ability to keep a single operating system rev up and running for over six years and all, but it may be time for an upgrade. (which woud likely me hardware too, I know.)

98se is fundamentally a DOS operating system.
Unless you're running your disks on an NTFS file system, your hard drive is not likely going to be able to support an 1.5 hour DV file. (I'm pretty sure this will exceed the 4gig max).

I really don't know of any free DV programs that can run on 98.
Good luck.
Have fun.
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

DVIO is a small 32kB program that is free and can "capture" and output compliant DV-AVI's (Type1 and Type2). Just google DVIO and you will find it right away. As far as DV-AVI's and Fat32 file systems such as 98SE's, you will only be able to get around 10 minutes or so of compliant DV-AVI per file if my math is correct. DV-AVI is around 13GB of data per hour of video.
Todd Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Todd and Nick bring up a good point re: FAT32 file size limit -- which leads to my confusion on this: Is the avi file already on your PC? If so, how did it get there? Is it something you downloaded off the internet (eg, it's only 320x240 and it's a highly compressed avi, etc)?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #7
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Todd Metzger : DVIO is a small 32kB program that is free and can "capture" and output compliant DV-AVI's (Type1 and Type2). Just google DVIO and you will find it right away. As far as DV-AVI's and Fat32 file systems such as 98SE's, you will only be able to get around 10 minutes or so of compliant DV-AVI per file if my math is correct. DV-AVI is around 13GB of data per hour of video. -->>>

I know people around here are probabally sticklers for highest image quality possible but , yes this is an old television episode I downloaded. Im not overly concerned with image quality of course, but could'nt I just record it onto a DV tape mostly for portability reasons.
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #8
Major Player

It's not so much a quality issue as one of compatability.

DV cameras will only accept DV data through the firewire connection, so the video must be in DV format (which includes full DV resolution) on your hard drive for the video to be digitally copied to the camera tape via firewire. It's just a limitation of the core technlogies.

You're alternative would be to find some kind of Win98 compatable video board with RCA output. Given the fact that the video is already probably very compressed, using your camera or VCR to record off an RCA connection might not really add too much noticable degredation from what you have already.

Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Remember, an AVI does not have to be a compliant DV-AVI. Compliant DV-AVI's are all ~3.6MB/s, for DV-AVI's are constant in regards to its data stream. It doesn't matter if it is high quality or low quality. You need a compliant DV-AVI to output to a cam or deck in the manner that you wish. That is, if you have a highly compressed or sized down AVI, you need to convert it/rerender it to a DV-AVI first. This is where file size limitations become a problem if you have a video longer than ~10 minutes.
Todd Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #10
Tourist

Thanks guys.

Alas, the file is most likely not DV-avi. Guess Im stuck with the multi-step time consuming SVCD creation.
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #11
Major Player

Have to say it: Time to invest in a DVD burner! They're getting closer to $100 for an internal drive (I think I saw one one sale for $130 recently and a quick search of circuitcity.com shows 'em for $150) and it would be a far more convenient way to archive such video.

For one, converting web-optimized video into a proper DV avi file is going to be time consuming anyway (Don't even ask me how long it took me to convert an hour's worth of 320x240 Quicktime video into DV avi). Even more so in your case since you have to break up the DV video into 3 blocks of 4 GB. Second, you're putting undo wear on your heads every time you want to watch your video, not to mention having to lug your camera over to the TV and fuss with all the connections and whatnot.

Save up, get a DVD burner, then get Windows XP. I think you'll be a much happier person :)
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #12
RED Code Chef

Keep in mind that Win98SE will not run NTFS. It runs FAT16 and
FAT32 (and FAT12 for floppies). Just so everyone is perfectly
clear on this.

Are you trying to watch a "movie" through this method on your
TV? If so, don't. There are far better ways that won't stress your
camera's fragile heads and need all this conversion stuff. If the
movie is in DiVX/xvid (ie, downloaded) format then some newer
DVD players can just play that back as well.

Otherwise it might be a far better investment to just get a video
card with composite/S-video out.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC