After Effects prob: short finished clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

After Effects prob: short finished clips

When I import a clip into After Effects (PC, v6.0) that's, let's say for example, 3 minutes long ... and I apply an effect to it ... once I tell it to render, it churns and burns for a while and produces a file that presumably has the rendered video in it.

That's true, but the rendered video never seems to be more than 10 seconds long.

Even when I manually set the composition to be the same length as the clip I imported, it still seems to only render the first 10 seconds of footage.

What's up with this crazy app?
Web, Video, Photography, Audio
Steve Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #2
Major Player

After Effects does not render in the same sense that Premiere renders. Premiere will create temp video files of your preview, storing them on your harddrive for complete access. After Effects does not.

After Effects does a RAM Preview -- it does not create "tangible" preview files like Premiere, it only previews as much as your installed memory will allow. Factor in any other applications that might be running in the background and using memory, as well as the "difficulty" of the effects you are rendering, and you may find yourself with only 10 seconds of preview.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Clarification: I guess when I refer to a preview, I'm talking about the finished AVI file that AE produces. When I view that AVI file in Windows Media Player, it never seems to be any longer than 10 seconds.
Steve Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Oh! Sorry for the misunderstanding. That is a strange one. How exactly do you render your footage? Using the Make Movie feature, or with the Export feature?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I found a setting in the Composition somehwere that lets me set the composition length to be the same as the clip I'm working with. This seemed to fix the problem.

Now I just need to figure out why my Magic Bullet "Look Suite" effects all seem to add random sparks and pixelations to my compositions. My guess it's an artifact from differences in settings between the source clip and the end composition.

But that's a whole 'nother threat.

Thanks.
Steve Williamson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC