Returning from server crash... we're back. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 10th, 2002, 10:47 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Returning from server crash... we're back.

Okay, after being down for close to 24 hours, we're now back online with a few bumps and bruises. You may have noticed that we've lost about a week's worth of posts... I believe approximately 600 or so. The current count is 14,750 which is down from I think about 15,350. It really hurts but I'm grateful that it wasn't any worse than this. We've also lost track of about 40-something new members; if you're one of these folks, unfortunately you'll have to re-register.

This sort of thing is never predictable and always happens at the wrong time, but I'm working at this moment on finding a more reliable hosting solution with a back-up of the message board database every 24 hours. I've got to leave for MacWorld on Monday and will definitely find a new home for us before then.

In the meantime please accept my sincere apologies for this 40mph crash into a brick wall; the airbags have deployed and we've got a few seatbelt cuts and a broken tooth or two but we'll survive.

If you posted something last week, it's gone forever so if you can remember what we were talking about in this particular forum then by all means say it again!

Still shaking,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 05:32 PM   #2
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

DV Expo East report

The Videoguys' Insider Vol 2 Issue 3
For this months Videoguys' Insider we are going to skip the usual Interview to bring you this special report from the DV Expo East.

DV Expo East 2002 News
Over the past several years the West Coast DV Expo has become a very important show. All of the major players in the industry are there, showing off their latest and greatest new products. The timing of the West Coast show is late fall or early winter, making it kind of a mid way point between NAB shows. It's a great way to get a feel for the direction the industry is going and what the companies have in store for the next year.

This was the first ever East Coast DV Expo. It was launched as a sub-show of the NY PC Expo in NYC (June 25-26). The PC Expo includes everything computer - hardware, storage, networking, software, internet, wireless, PDA. It's more like a small Comdex, aimed at corporate IT departments and power PC users. The DV Expo East was not as big as the west coast show, but there were some very significant product introductions.

Here is my report on the hottest new video editing gear at this show. It's very clear that a major product war is starting on the NLE front. Matrox, Pinnacle and Avid each had MAJOR new prodcut anouncements. As a digital videographer you have never before had so many great new products to choose from. If you've been thinking about upgrading your NLE system but you've been waiting for a reason why you should, here are 10 very good ones!

Follow this link for the complete article
http://videoguys.com/dvexpo.html

Gary
Old August 2nd, 2002, 10:19 PM   #3
collingwood58

Pinnacle Express DVD

Does anyone know if there is a downloadable update to the Express DVD program. The out of the box kit has a host of problems that Pinnacle were reluctant to agknowledge. Any help would be appreciated
Old August 30th, 2002, 10:56 AM   #4
Wrangler

Pinnacle Edition DV: Anyone used it for real yet?

Anyone use EditionDV to edit their videos yet? Does it live up to the reviews?
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

PC (or MSPro6.5) won't recognize ADS DV card

I recently upgraded my system to MSPro6.5 which came bundled with the ADS PYRO DV card. I installed the card and Win ME found it and installed it's own driver. But when I run my capture software, it says there's no capture card available. I've un-installed and re-done everything a dozen times. By day I work at a large IT company as a programmer, so I know what I'm doing, but I'm obviously missing something!
System = Dell 1.1 GHz P4
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 03:29 PM   #6
Vidterry

Sad experience with DV Direct...

In the continuing attempt to get my vidcam communicating with my computer, I decided to start swapping out parts. So, having had a problem getting GL2 to work with Firewire card, I decided to swap out card for new one. Determined that Pyro card would do fine...so shopped for place to order one. Learned that only last week Pyro began shipping firewire card bundled with Premiere 6.5...did search, and found good deal at DV Direct, a supplier I had heard was reputable.

Well, maybe so, but not in my case, and never EVER again.

I ordered Pyro Platinum @ $287...pretty good deal. I live just over 100 miles from DV Direct location.

Package arrived...everything inside as ordered, including invoice that showed my credit card had been charged $63.50 for shipping a four pound box to me. Long story there, but after talking to two customer service folks, the best they could do was a $20 refund. (I could drive my very poor mileage sports car to DV Direct and back for way under th $43.50 they intended to charge me...and get the package much sooner as well.)

To add insult to injury, and make the experience totally a bad one, after four days, DV Direct has still NOT even credited the $20 back to the account.

If you want blow by blow description of the exchanges, I'd be happy to answer by email, to save bandwidth here. Suffice to say that DV Direct online ordering website is misleading, badly structured, and even when you complete the order, it does NOT show you how much you are going to be paying. And a promised followup email with that information never arrives.

Terry in Iowa -- sadder but wiser.
Old September 24th, 2002, 11:26 AM   #7
ismertrobert

Step by Step for MainConcept DV Codec

Here are the steps if one wants to use MainConcept DV Codec with Adobe Premiere.

1) Download and install MainConcept DV Codec

http://www.mainconcept.com/downloads.shtml

** if you are unable to see the .ini file, go into the explorer. Click on folder options. Select that all files
should be shown. then you should see the hidden *.ini file.
Then right click and select install.

2)There is a file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM called QCap.dll

Cut and Paste this file somewhere on your HD. I don't know what this file does, but it prevents Premiere from using codecs other than Windows. Refresh the contents of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

3) Start Premiere. You should be able to select MainConcept DV Codec. I now have 5 codecs to choose from on my system. Windows Codec will not be available.

4) To return to the Windows codec, simply paste the QCap.dll back into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM then refresh the folder and quit Premiere. Restart Premiere and the Windows codec will be available, without the other codecs.

There is also this program called DVCSwitch.exe that supposedly does all of this for you, but it didn't work for me.

Hope this can help someone.

robert
info@isafoto.com
www.isafoto.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC