Warm look?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Warm look??

I want to have my DV film to have a warm look with the colors almost bleeding into each other and a soft look, I use Canoin GL2 and Premiere 6.5.
I have not been able to find a way to do this.. any suggestions ??
Thank you
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There must be a half dozen ways to do this. If you want a warm look and you are filming indoors, you can either:

-White balance the camera for daylight (extreme warm)

-Balance the camera for indoor light and then put CTO gels on the lights

-Do a manual white balance with a blue gel in front of the lens. (This will raise the color temperature in the camera based on what CTO gel you use)

In post you can add a orange or reddish tint to you video or adjust the color balance so it’s more toward the orange/red side

As for the soft look. Blur the video helps out there, but do it in small amounts.

A simple rule for color is this. If the light source is a higher temperature than what your camera is balanced to then your video will be on the cooler side. If you light source is a lower temperature then what your camera is balanced to then your video will on the warmer side of things.

Hope this helps
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thomas,
My vision of your intentions may not be accurate. But I extracted two basic elements from your inquiry:
  • "..have a warm look", and
  • "...with the colors almost bleeding into each other."
To accomplish my interpretation of this I would take the following actions.

1. While shooting I would make sure that I have a relatively low chroma and luma contrast in the frame. Light for a slightly flat look in your primary subject areas.

2. Consider using a softening filter, but don't overdo it. Perhaps a SoftFX 0.5, just enough to take some of the edge sharpness off.

3. Desaturate your color if your camera permits this. Not quite monochrome, but not far away.

4. Apply your tinting during color correction in editing -after- you've made all other necessary image adjustments, including additional image softening if needed.

Of course most of this is moot if you cannot control lighting.

Good luck.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Major Player

i would try warmcards, they are white balance cards that aren't white.

i use the warm1 very often. they come in various colors, warm1, warm2 warm3 etc.

i found the warm 2 and 3 to be "too much" but for the look you want they might be just the thing.

there are also filter that can diffuse the image and give it a softer look.

www.warmcards.com

and no i am not affiliated with the company in any way, i am just a happy customer.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC