MediaStudio Pro 6.5 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #1
Major Player

MediaStudio Pro 6.5 question

I'm posting here I have't been able to get a response from the veterans on the Ulead Web Board.

Lately, MSP has started randomly freezing up when I try to view video in the Source window, regardless of whether I double-click a clip in the timeline or in my storyboard. Instead of the Source window filling with the first frame of the selected clip, it just displays black. I then have to force the program to shut down in Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete). Needless to say, this behavior doesn't make for very productive editing sessions!

Do you know what's causing this? Would reinstalling MSP (and its four patches) fix the problem?

Thanks,

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #2
Major Player

What is your system configuration? (Hard Drives? Memory? Processor?)
What OS are you running?
What type of video file are you trying to view? (DV, MPEG, what codec(s) )

One thing to keep in mind is that 6.5 was released something like three years ago, and it's built mainly on the 6.0 architechture which was developed in 1999! I would expect that these older version will be increasingly unstable as operating systems and OS modules etc. are continually updated.

You may want to consider upgrading to 7.0. It's only $150 these days anyway, and you'd gain a boatload of new features along with better stability. Just a thought.

Have fun.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Windows XP Home, SP1a
Pentium 4 2.8GHz, HT, 800 MHz FSB
2 x 256MB DDR400 RAM
2 x 120GB SATA hard drives
LiteOn 4x DVD-/+RW drive
Foxconn motherboard, Intel 865G chipset
eVGA e-GeForce FX5200 dual-head display card w/128MB RAM

I actually have the version 7 upgrade, which I downloaded from Ulead in January. Somehow, however, that file was damaged and now version 7 won't install on my new PC. I have to call Ulead so I can download it again. I had no luck e-mailing their tech support because I can't find my confirmation e-mail to serve as a receipt. All I have is my registration number. I've been using their stuff since 2001. If they value me as a customer and want me to every buy version 7.5 or 8, they'll send me the download link again. I'm not paying for the upgrade twice after I've already registered my software once.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, I'd recommend calling and getting human on the phone.
If you've got your registration number, most companies tie that to all the details they'd need to confirm you bought your upgrade.

6.5 was developed before XP was around.
They have a patch (which I think you mentioned) for XP compatabilty, but personally, I'd rather get the new version in place. Especially if it was already paid for.

Good luck.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC