post virus recovery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 10th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #1
Wrangler

post virus recovery

More virus attacks. I'm running AVG, which doesn't always seem to stop a virus before it starts messing with my computer.
My system is a 1.8ghz PC running WIn XP Pro

I removed the viruses, but now my Outlook Express doesn't work. It says there it can't initialze the msoe.dll file. I replaced the file with a new one, but it didn't help. I don't think I can do a system restore, since I had to shut my system restore off to purge the virus.

Also, I cannot download any files from the internet through Internet Explorer anymore. Not sure if its related.

So what I'm looking for is: Can I reinstall Outlook Express on its own? Should I ditch it and get a new e-mail program? How can I save my address book/inbox from OE if I need to? Which directory is my Inbox file located?

Thanks
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #2
Major Player

To export your messages and address book, just use the import/export wizard that is built into Outlook.

Next, to avoid this from ever occuring again, your edit computer needs to become an island. Remove the NIC. Remove all aspects of the internet completely. Your driver updates and patches can be transferred via the other computer, your flash memory from the digital camera, a burned cdrw etc.

You might even want to use your laptop for internet access and get a cheap switchbox to toggle the view on your monitor from the 2 sources.

The extra benefit here is that the internet computer can be used for all the downloads and once the files are certified virus free, these can go over to the edit bay.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

and GET A FIREWALL.
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Precisely Keith. Turn up your browser security to full and leave it there. Crank up the firewall to block all access exept for the most essential pppoe exe to get you to the info super shlockway. Who cares if the site you are visiting demands cookies or special cursers that turn into bumble bees and emoticons for the terminally illiterate who require a picture to be painted for every java powered email they respond to.

Ok so the internet may not be the panacea it was intended to be but as a source of distraction and mayhem populating device you really want nothing to do with the experiments of others when it comes to associating your business toolbox online.

Finally the spam filters seem to work....
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

You can be safe enough with medium-security. Cookies are sometimes necessary and I delete my cache every other day.

I use Adaware and Spybot and scan every other day to clear up the spyware left over.

I have AVG run a virus scan every morning after I leave to go to work.

I always update Windows when it asks me. So many exploits are due to Windows holes.

I never run any attachment without making sure that it is something I requested specifically or was really sent by someone I know. Sometimes I will reply and ask them if they really sent that attachment.

But without that firewall, I'm sure I would be hurting.

I recommend a hardware firewall, not because I don't trust ZoneAlarm, but because I don't want to load up my system with yet another thing that may slow down my browsing. My application RAM is precious.
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Wrangler

Hey Jimmy
Thanks for the advice, but I can't even open Outlook, so I can't use any of the tools in it. I'm looking for the actual diretory on my PC these files are saved in.
I mostly need to know the easiest way to repair my Outlook.

Fortunately this is NOT my edit system. I edit on a seperate box that wouldn't even know what the internet is.
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Sure. Do a system restore to the most recent checkpoint. That will likely get the system back to the environment at that time. Asuming you are running XP. Failing that, drop in the XP disk and choose the repair option. This should overwrite any corrupt files and get things going.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC