XL-1s and Windows 98 SE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 19th, 2002, 12:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL-1s and Windows 98 SE

Hi all,

Before the "big crash of 2002" I started a thread asking about my problem with signal transfer between XL-1s and Sony VAIO laptop PCG-XG 18.

I have Adobe Premiere on my PC. However, my computer does not recognize at all that it is connected to the camera, though camera recognizes the computer and says “DV IN”. Patient Adobe technicians were not able to help me with any of their ideas, switches, and patches. The camera and the computer simply do not communicate.

POSSIBLE CAUSES OF THE PROBLEM:

1. I checked now again here at our university computers and in deed XL-1 and XL-1s simply do not exist in the DV Device Control Options in the Premiere 6.0. However, that should not be a problem, because many of our members use the Premiere 6.0. In the Control Options I tried to switch to, I guess, most of the other cameras, but again I could not fix the problem.

2. I tried my computer with another camera (Sony), and it captured the signal immediately. Ergo, the computer is OK.

3. I tried my XL-1s on several Mac editing stations, and they started communicating as soon as the fire-wire was plugged in. Hence, the camera is also OK.

4. The same cables were used in all of the experiments. Well, cables are also OK.

5. The last possibility. On the box of XL-1s it is stated: "Designed for Windows XP." I use Windows 98 SE. Is maybe this the reason for my problem?

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Does anybody use XL-1s with Windows 98 SE? What about the set of Windows 98 SE, a Sony Vaio laptop and the Premiere?

2. Any ideas of how to fix this problem of mine?
2.a) Should I simply switch to Windows XP?
2.b) Are there any efficient patches for Win 98 SE and where? How much do they cost?

Though I plan to buy a Mac sometimes soon, I would like to be able to use my PC laptop and do at least some offline editing with it or some smaller projects.

In advance thanks a lot for your help,
Old July 20th, 2002, 06:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

I still cannot image why it would not work with SE. One big problem with MS systems are that they can develop quirks.

One solution would be to re-install everything. Do not do a regular re-install, but rather wipe the disk and then do the install. (***Be sure you image your computer before you do this*** so you can go back if there is a problem.)

This clears the registry and totally rebuilds the system.

Now the second issue, migrating to XP. I would recommend Windows 2000 first. Some people have issues with XP and not just with their product authenication (which is the big one I have). However both XP and W2K allow you to go beyond the 2GB file limit you have in SE: so either will be an improvement.

P.S. If you migrate to a new OS, do not just install it over 98. Wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #3
Trustee

With Premiere it is a good idea to have your camera pluged in and on before booting up the computer. This allows the computer to find the camera during boot up.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 12:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Denis,

just a thought. I use 98SE with a DVRaptor card and Premiere. Premiere will not see my capture card and will not bring the canopus video or audio codec's up for selection in the Premiere settings boxes. My problem was in the sequence of installation. The manuals say first install the DVRaptor card and then Premiere. I have found it then necessary to re-install the DVRaptor again. It would appear as if only then does Premiere pick up the plugins drivers etc etc.

Might be worth a try as it should not take too long. And yes as Adrian mentioned some some systems want to see the camcorder on boot. Fortunately mine does not.

Good Luck
Cheers
Andrew

PS: This happened recently again when I tried the Premiere 6 upgrade. You would have thought that it remembered old Raptor settings etc. no way. I had P6 not seeing my kit. Then I remembered what was needed and hey presto all is well.

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 10:02 AM   #5
Wrangler

Yeah, have the camera on too. I wasn't going to say that since it tends to generate flames.

One other thing too, enable DMA on your hard drive. This will make capture video much smoother. BTW, in W2K and XP DMA on is the default.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 04:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for trying to help.

Unfortunately the experiment with plugging in the camera and turning it on before turning on the computer did not work.

Nathan, for give my ignorance, please. What does DMA stand for? I could not find anything with that name on my computer.

Thansk again,
Old July 21st, 2002, 05:32 PM   #7
Wrangler

No problem. It means Direct Memory Access you will find it under Control Panel and disk.

In video systems a lot of data is sent to the drive. With DMA enable this transfer of data works much, much better.

With most NLEs the minimum requirements are a PII processor about 350MHz or better, 256 MB RAM, and a 7200rpm disk drive (sometimes you can get away with a 5400) and several GBs of unused space.

Another possible problem could be where the firewire board is plugged into the system. You can try moving it to another PCI slot and see if things improve.

Still my best bet is to do a clean install.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC