Windows 2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 23rd, 2002, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Windows 2000

OK,

I have been looking to upgrade to windows 2000. In my search I have noticed that there are different bundles available. Pro, DSP, single, ect. ect. So which one? Is buying it OEM ok? I have seen a couple of deals on pricewatch that seem reasonable. Some say "full version". Will that have everything that I need? I just want the right one because I hate doing things twice.
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 02:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Windows 2000 Professional is the way to go. Also be sure to download the 100 meg Service Pack 2 and update W2K after you install. Burn that 100 meg updater to a CD and make a couple of copies and put it someplace safe.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 04:52 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

I advise Windows 2000 Professional as well.... OEM is a term used
to indicate that this version is for delivery with a new PC only. I
think it also has no manuals. OEM versions tend to be cheaper
and are sold without PC's. Just make sure it is Windows 2000
Professional and your good to go.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 09:48 AM   #4
Major Player

* * WINDOWS 2000 * *

Ditto w/ above peoples.

Get the Service Pack and rock'n roll.
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm ready for the flack, so here go's, Win 2000 is two years old, thats in computer terms is OLD OLD OLD.
I'd recommned XPpro, I use it on on dual MP1800 using REX RT and it flys.

O.K Guys Start your gripes.

Peter.
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #6

Computer software isn't like a car....old isn't bad. In fact, when it comes to software, new is bad. New is unproven and buggy. Witness Win XP....altho' it's MUCH better than when first released, there are still a lot of hardware drivers incompatible with XP. To add insult to injury, XP is really top heavy...just look at the size of the executable compared with W2k. Performance tests have shown both systems to be ver much on a par with each other, however. Given M$ intent to control and monitor a users environment beginning with XP licensing, I'd opt for w2k, hands down.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 11:42 AM   #7
Air China Pilot

Bill is correct. Win2000 was the best OS that Microsoft put out in a long time and it was the most stable as it was based on NT.

I'm right now installing XP on my work machine and I'm dreading seeing what works and does not work with it. Although XP is touted to be more video friendly, Win2000 was a business OS not a consumer OS. I do work on my machine. I do not need the red leather treatment, just efficiency and reliability.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 03:01 PM   #8
Wrangler

I agree, Win2K Pro is the best product Microsoft ever put to market. I've never had an issue with its stability.

Also, I've never seen a satisfactory way of eliminating the kindergarden feel of the WinXP interface, and that irks me. WinXP also still has a few networking and driver issues that Microsoft and third-party developers haven't ironed out yet, even nearly a year after its release.

And I should add that if you're a computer junkie who likes swapping out hardware all the time, especially processors, the WinXP registration is a pain and a half.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #9

My general rule for ANY new OS is to wait, at least, until the first service pack is released.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2002, 03:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

The reason I chose the XPpro route was this, I recently built my own dedicated editing machine, I'd pondered over componants and researched through the forums for ages and I took the decission that investing a large sum into this I required forward compatibilty not backward.

Most problems reported hardware incompatabilty with XP but as I starting from scratch, no problem.

I've been using Win98 and had no experience with either Win 2000 or XP so it was a natural choice.

The size of the exe, in 2000, is considerably larger than Windows 98, but with todays processors and large drives I wonder why thats a point.

I'd recommend a look at posts over at the Cow on XP, in particular David La Bouards (Spelling may not be correct) and Case's experience with his luggable setup at Justeditors.com.

My own experience with XP has been good, I,ve only had one lockup in three months and that was while playing Spider Solitare!. I do understand the natural reluctance to upgrade to recently released O/S, I had a mare with 98 and removed it untill second edition, Had XP just been released I might just have gone with 2000.

Just my Two pence worth.

Regards. Peter
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Windows 2000 is a good operating system. However SP-3 will be the last update from Microsoft. Win 2000 still has plenty of driverless hardware by the way so that is an issue with both.
If I was going to buy a new operating system it would be XP.
Why? Because many of the newer motherboard chipsets are built with XP optimizations.
For instance AMD dual Athlon systems are far more stable under XP.
If you tweak XP for optimal video operation it will outperform win 2000 by a noticeable real-world amount.
You can learn about tweaking XP at the videoguys web site.
David Labord sp? is the author.
www.videoguys.com

I have both
like them both
XP is better IMO
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Rick O'Brien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC