Building an editing computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 10th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Building an editing computer

Hi Everyone,

Although I have been shooting for 17 years, and editing for about 10 years, I noticed that since most of my editing has been using the Casablanca system, many new things have been introduced to the field that I have not been exposed to. As a result of being negligent in following the trends, I have become somewhat antiquated. Time to be revitalized!! HAHA

I have many questions about the new technology for editing. I recently acquired an old Pentium Server from the company that I shoot for, I want to under take a project where I turn this into a monster for editing. Most of my shooting now, is legal work, and I am the guy with the most experience which means I need the forums help with my questions.

I have never built a computer before, and would like some advice as to what I should install for memory and everything else. I am very handy, and my college degree would have you think I am still an engineer.

Ok, here is what I need to be able to do...

After removing any old and unneeded hard/software from the server;

I want to be able to burn at least 2-4 DVD's, or CD/Roms at a time.

I also want to be able to install the better editing software packages that are offered. Right now I dont need anything more than Final cut and perhaps one of the Avid packages available. I dont want to have to worry about whether or not a future program is too big for my computer.

To do all this, I know that my computer must have lots of storage capabilities. I welcome any advice as to what I try to install into this computer. What size hard drives, and what brands are recommended.

I would also like to ask what program is best for analog to DVD or CD/Rom conversions? I looked at a friends wedding that he loaded into his MAC, and then burned into a CD, and I must admit it looked crappy. I didnt want to offend him, as he was happy with the finished product, I dont know what programs he used to do the conversion.

I appreciate any information you all offer, I know that the members of this forum represent some of the best informed folks I have ever met in this industry. I am proud to say, that what I lack in editing knowledge, I more than make up for in Shooting capabilties.

Last but not least, can anyone point me in the direction to purchase all my new tools without breaking the bank??

Thanks in advance for all criticism and help.

Rick
Rick Casuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Rick
I'm moving your thread to the NLE forum, you should get some responses there.
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Rick,

Heads up - the only Operating system that will support BOTH Final Cut Pro and Avid is Macintosh. Final Cut will not run on a PC OS.

Duplicating CD's en masse is better handled by one of the prosumer Disc Burners. This is a stand-alone system that is fed from your computer. You load up the DVDS, and come back the next day and they are burned and stacked up.

DV takes approximately 13 gigs of hard drive space per hour. So compute how many hours of DV you are likely to have on your system and buy at LEAST half as much more. (Some would say double).

Research whether you want RAID O or Mirror drives. Scuzzi might be overkill unless you are planning on going SD uncompressed in the future.

That's a start.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard I appreciate your response.
Rick Casuso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC