network rendering - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 21st, 2004, 08:59 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Glen,

So you prefer Vegas over FCP? I wonder why Vegas isn't a contender with Avid at least from most of the stuff I read.

I am not thouroughly convinced that Avid is better than Vegas as of yet.
Brian Zamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:49 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Both Vegas and Final Cut are good. Vegas is more powerful, so that's useful if you want to go crazy with compositing, color correction or audio stuff (i.e. dialogue editing). Final Cut is still fairly decent at compositing and color correction. You probably aren't considering switching over to Mac/FCP so I doubt that'll matter for you.

As far as Avid versus Vegas, my guess is that there aren't many people who have used both. For your needs, my guess is that Avid wouldn't be a good idea for you. You should look at what you do and then pick the NLE that would work best for you.

Speed: No idea how fast Avid renders, but my guess is that Vegas with 2 rendernodes (pentium 3.0ghz, 10k SATA drives would probably be a good idea) would likely go faster for most filters except for the median filter (for noise reduction- use Virtualdub filters instead with Vegas; not sure if Avid has equivalent filter).

Avid doesn't come with an MPEG2 encoder, so it has no advantage at MPEG2 encoding. If you get Vegas+DVD, you get the AC3 encoder which is nice for DVD encoding. It gets you more bitrate to play with, which means you'll probably be able to tradeoff more speed over quality/bitrate.

Workflow: You already know how to use Vegas.

Features/power: I'm not sure what kind of projects you do, but if you need to wait on Vegas to render then you might be doing complicated things within it that Avid may not be able to do. Avid from what I read is not very good with simple compositing tasks and effects, which is why Final Cut has taken over in the trailer editing field/industry.

You should post what kind of things you do in Vegas, that way folks here with experience with the programs in question can give you more specific advice.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC