Display Cards - Suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 6th, 2002, 04:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Display Cards - Suggestions

Hi,

I currently use a Voodoo 3 3000 (16Meg) AGP. It might be my imagination or merely coincidence but since using Prem 6.0 the video playback image seems to suffer. In Windows Media Player the quality of .avi files on playback is much poorer than in the Raptor or Premier screens. Also when the action on screen is slow the picture is OK, but the minute things get moving there is a ghosting type image that I get.

Is it time for a new card ?
Do I need more memory on the card?
What are the important criteria to look for in a card?
Any card suggestions that would work with the DVRaptor?

Thanks
Andrew

PS: Would be nice to have a card that support dual monitors.

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 04:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Andrew

If you use or intent to use Dual Monitors, I would recommend the Raedon 7500/or 8500. or the G550 Matrox card.

Peter.
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 07:55 AM   #3
Trustee

I don't know if it's your card but I'll back up the Matrox recommendation. I'm still using my 16MB Dual Head G400 and it works a treat for video work. I'd go with the 550 if I were you but first I'd check it is compatable with your capture card, sound card, motherboard etc.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 10:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Video cards

I'll show my support for the Radeon 7500 64meg DDR series.

I'm a closet "gamer" also, so I'm in to the high number of frame refresh rates.

A voodoo 3 has 16meg of memory, so my opinion would be that it's time to upgrade.
Old August 6th, 2002, 12:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Matrox is sounding good at this point. The G400 worked with the Raptor. Don't see why this one would not.

One comment I saw on the net was "this is a workhorse, more focussed on video applications than gaming". I am not a gamer at all so this could be it.

Would be good to hear from DVRaptor people.

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi,

I have bought and installed the Matrox G550. I am one unhappy camper, perhaps someone is able to help ot perhaps my expectations are way too high.

Reason for upgrading from the Voodoo 3 3000 was to get better image quality on the monitor. The monitor by the way is a Phillips 107S 17" and the setup is 1024 x 768 with 32 bit True Colour and a screen refresh rate of 85Hz.

There were two problems which appeared to be interrelated. The first was an irritating "ghosting" of things that moved with reasonable rapidity. So a dog running on the beach would show ghosting on the legs. The second was pixelation under the same conditions. Fast moving things would either ghost or block.

I tried to change my screen resolution to 640 x 480 and the problem gets even worse. This problem manifests in RapVideo, Windows Media Player and Premiere.

So I go get a "better" card and the problem has not gone away or improved. What am I doing wrong, are there basic setting I don't know about? Do I expect too much from the system?

Help.

Cheers
Andrew

PS: 512Meg Ram, ASUS P3V4X @ 733MHx PIII Intel, DVRaptor with Premiere 6

Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC