Best editing program for Canon XLS-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 18th, 2002, 09:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best editing program for Canon XLS-1

I need to know what is the best editing program for my
Canon XLS-1?

Unfortunatley, I don't have a Mac computer, so I can't get Final Cut Pro. So what is the best editing program for the PC?

Thank you
Todd Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 10:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You have several options, the XL1s works well with just about any editing software.

What kind of video work are you doing? Are you making movies or are you doing event type work?

What's your budget?

Popular PC software solutions among consumer and prosumers...

-Vegas Video
-Premeire
-Avid Xpress DV

Popular hardware solutions among consumer and prosumer...

-Canopus DV Storm
-Matrox RT 2500
-Pinnacle Pro One

I can personally vouch for Canopus products and Avid Xpress DV.

It really comes down to what you want to do with it. If you need EDLs and are working on large movie type projects, go w/Xpress DV. If you are doing event videography, weddings and such...then the Canopus Storm may fit your needs.

If you were considering FCP then maybe you might want to look more into Xpress DV. It seems to be FCP's biggest competition.
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help J!

I am making independent films. I want to make sure that the editing software is able to make scrolling credits, the ones used at the end of movies.

Out of the ones you listed, which would you say are the top 3?

-Vegas Video
-Premeire
-Avid Xpress DV
-Canopus DV Storm
-Matrox RT 2500
-Pinnacle Pro One

Also, where can I find the best prices on these at? I know their are some sites that have better prices than others.

Thanks again for your help
Todd Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 02:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

This is only my opinion, but...

Xpress DV
FCP
Canopus Storm (Comes bundled w/Premiere software)
Vegas Video

...would be my choices, in that order.

Everything above will do rolling titles except Xpress, but then again rolling credits isn't the main selling point of said NLE. I use third party software for my titles (Boris, After Effects, Photoshop, Title Dekko).

And yes, they all come equiped w/black and white filters.

I usually go through videoguys.com for NLE software.
Old August 20th, 2002, 07:38 PM   #5
Wrangler

Since you aren't using a Mac

Xpress DV

or a Canopus DV Storm or the new Matrox X100 running Premiere would be my choices.

If I was buget limited to software only, I'd take Vegas Video over Premiere.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2002, 08:03 PM   #6
Major Player

You guys with the Avid xPress, what PCI card do you have to go with it? I checked Avid's site, I don't think it comes with even a basic firewire card. I'm true believer in the benefits of dedicated hardware for processing, especially video editing.

The newer Pro-One has a second processor onboard for real time rendering, Do you recommend purchasing something like this in addition to the expensive xPress software?

I've used Avid in the past, many years ago. I'll seriously consider their xPress package.
Old August 20th, 2002, 10:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Xpress won't work with the Pro One.

It will only work with a basic OHCI card with the Texas Instruments chipset, like the ADS Pyro API300.

With dual AMD 1900MP+s I get 4 solid layers of realtime preview (mileage may very of course w/different systems).

The thing about Xpress is it's not an "all in one package." Meaning you have to rely on AE and other programs for solid FX work and keyframing. Coming from Premiere and FCP it definitely takes some time to get used to, it's a totally different way of editing, it's keyboard editing as opposed to drag and drop. Once you learn the commands, you'll never want to go back drag and drop type editing. The bin management in Xpress is by far superior to anything I have seen in this price range. The color correction is amazing (based on the Symphony's CC) and the trim tools are powerful.

If you come from an Avid background...you will really dig Xpress.

If Avid ever decided to team up with Canopus again they could make one hell of a software/hardware bundle.
Old August 27th, 2002, 06:01 PM   #8
Quantum Productions

I love my Uleads Media Studio Pro 6.5! It's a very easy program to use but still complex enough if you want it to be! It' very compact, all on one screen (if you want it to be you can use a dual video card as well.)I now output to an MPEG2 (6.5 upgrade)and send to my Pioneer DVD writer!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC