faking slow shutterspeed for timelapses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 26th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Tourist

faking slow shutterspeed for timelapses

here's my trouble: i'd like to film timelapses (like cars in a street or busy people in a hall), but of course to have a cool look i should use a very slow shutterspeed, slower then minidv camcorder. is there some good way to fake the slow shutterspeed? i use aftereffects, i tried a lot of ways (like echo and some motion blur plugin) but i didn't got good results
Federico Romanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You need to use a speed function and tell it to do frame blending or to interpolate frames. You do not need to fake a slow shutterspeed.

I believe Premier Pro can do this, but I don't have it in front of me. Most NLEs should be able to do it. As should After Effects.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Contributor

I have done just what you say in FCP. I acquired using time lapse in the camera at 1/60 in blocks of about 5 frames every 5 minutes or so. Then I speeded it up in FCP and used motion blur to give it... well... motion blur. And I applied some non-linear functions to make it more "film like". Since it was motion blurred there was less noise in the shadows, thus it's as if there was more lattitude. Looks really cool. Sorry no way I can upload it though. Hope this helps.
Old September 27th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #4
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : You need to use a speed function and tell it to do frame blending or to interpolate frames. You do not need to fake a slow shutterspeed.

I believe Premier Pro can do this, but I don't have it in front of me. Most NLEs should be able to do it. As should After Effects. -->>>
i guess you're right, anyway premiere and aftereffects can't achieve the results i want. if i speed up the clip the interpolation is not enough

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Rodriguez : I have done just what you say in FCP. I acquired using time lapse in the camera at 1/60 in blocks of about 5 frames every 5 minutes or so. Then I speeded it up in FCP and used motion blur to give it... well... motion blur. And I applied some non-linear functions to make it more "film like". Since it was motion blurred there was less noise in the shadows, thus it's as if there was more lattitude. Looks really cool. Sorry no way I can upload it though. Hope this helps. -->>>

i don't know how good is motion blur in fcp, but i assure you the one for ae is not enough for what i want. thanks anyway for the tips, that's the way i'll go if i can't find any better
Federico Romanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #5
Contributor

Motin blur in FCP is very sophisticated, you can set the percentage and the amount of samples, the more the samples, the better it looks and the longer it takes to process. The less samples involved, the faster it get's done and the cheaper it looks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC