Upgrading my NLE... so whatta' ya' think? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 31st, 2004, 07:09 AM   #16
Capt. Quirk

P.S. As an after thought, you said you replaced everything EXCEPT the MB and power supply? If it just goes off, it may be the power supply, even though I am willing to bet it is the Asus board.

P.P.S. I really want to come over to your house for Peanut butter and jelly samiches! I like the way you think!
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Keith, you should have been here last night. Really. I wanted to get out the dvx but I wasn't sure if it would push the insanity further or end it. Now that it's the next morning I wish I had. LOL... I hate using "LOL"... but THIS time, it fits... 'cause I am.

Hey I DID replace the power supply. The new p/s didn't make a difference... so I went back to the old one. I got a standard ATX 420watt to test the p/s issue, and once the computer resorted to it's bad behavior I put my Enermax Silent 480 back in. (I didn't think it could have been the p/s considering I got the best one I could at the time... but I checked it anyway.)

And I AM on a new mobo now. I decided to try an Intel 875. I doubt Intel has the outright performance of some other boards, but I'll always take a couple steps down for stability (after my Asus issues.)

If I can get my current system sorted I'll be really happy with it. That said I'm surprised Rambus never caught on. This computer, in it's last configuration, was actually quite "snappy"... I attribute that to the 850 chipset utilizing rambus. I'd say 85% or better of what I did in my NLE was real time. All the standard Canopus stuff was real time, but I'm talking about layers of stuff still coming out with no rendering. If anything I'm hoping that the big processor upgrade and extra ram will surpass what I've been used to. Really it SHOULD, but the new system doesn't feel as snappy. Honestly I think that could also be the fault of XP. I was slow to dump win2Kpro 'cause I hate BLOAT.

Maybe "XP Lite" can cut some of the fat off this bee-otch.

To bring this story full circle, the Asus board has peanut butter and jelly on it right now... as it sits in the bottom of the trash can.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:42 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Rambus got its butt kicked in the marketplace because the company was way too greedy about pricing and licensing fees, and DDR memory easily matched the performance at a significantly lower price. If your new setup seems slower I'd definitely suspect Windows bloat or other factors rather than memory type changes.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:59 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Really it SHOULD, but the new system doesn't feel as snappy.
You can download TweakUI and make the menus open faster. Does that count? :D
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:58 AM   #20
Major Player

I finally got it all sorted. This machine is moving along very nicely now.

Hey I can't help but defend rambus though... it took TWO YEARS for ddr to get as fast. That's forever in tech-terms. When I first got my 850 chipset I had 400mHz throughput... with no bottle-necks. The rambus was the fastest part of the machine with 800mHz throughput. It wasn't until a full year later that you could even get 333mHz on a ddr system. Even today it's just recently that you can get ddr that's faster then the 1066mHz throughput that you could get with rambus two years ago.

I say you gotta' give that company credit where credit is due... but also blame. You're right about the greed factor. Just like Apple. I don't know if it worked FOR Macintosh or against 'em... but I'd bet anything that if Mac had licensed their technology the way IBM did... we'd all be on Macs now and IBM would have gone the way of the dinosaur... or should I say Commodore 64.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:45 PM   #21
Inner Circle

The way I remember it, Rambus never offered a significant practical advantage for most applications, and a review of historical articles on the topic reminds us that it had high bandwidth but also high latency. Just like clock speed for processors, simply increasing one technical factor doesn't guarantee better overall results...

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19980814/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19980923/index.html

Regarding Apple, the story I've heard is that Intel asked them to port their OS to PC hardware back when Windows was a pathetic excuse for an operating system (even more so than now), but Steve Jobs felt it was better to go it alone. Twenty years later, Apple still survives through impressive creativity, but they've clearly missed their chance to be a major player.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #22
Major Player

Those Rambus articles were from '98. Here's a quote from Tom's in '02.

"As we have pointed out in this article, progress will be made and perhaps it will be a strange combination of both new and old technology. Maybe we were too hard on Rambus from the beginning or perhaps we were not ready for the evolution that it offered us. Better yet it might be said that processor technology was not yet ready to fully exploit the potiential of Rambus. Or perhaps many of us were just confused about the fact that Rambus was a serial technology, rather than the parallel technology that we all have had more direct experience with.

At least for the time being, if you still have some of those PC800 RDRAM modules, you can certainly put them to good use with some of the current crop of 850 motherboards. This will result in a performance gain over the Intel DDR boards."

That was four years later and looking at the same pc800 sticks. What else in computer-tech has a relevant retail life of 4-5 years with no revisions?

Hey I'm on a ddr400 machine now... I JUST finished it and dumped my Rambus. So trust me, I'm not trying to say Rambus was anything more then it was... but if not for some questionable tactics to force their way into the market, and a few integration glitches, Rambus could have been something. For 2 years the problem wasn't the latency so much as nothing could utilize the bandwidth effectively.

I appreciate those links... you gotta' love Tom's! Thanks.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC