Help needed to pick capture card to solve comm problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 6th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #1
Vidterry

Help needed to pick capture card to solve comm problem.

I've concluded that either the firewire cable I have is bad (though it is brand new $50 Monster Cable Firewire 4 to 6), or else the firewire card has a problem (though the computer is saying it is installed and working properly.)

I don't think it can be the GL2 that is screwed up.

It is supposed to be EASY...hook cable between the card and the vidcam, and capture video to software. Maybe for everyone else, but not working that way for me.

So, since troubleshooting has so far been a failure, perhaps the way to go is to trash the firewire card, dump the cable, get a new cable or three, and put in a better multipurpose capture card.

I think that output direct to VHS is going to be necessary absolutely, and input from additional Hi-8 source would be nice, if that combo is possible without breaking the bank.

Thoughts?

And since I am redoing so much anyway, how about a comparo? Is Vegas Video the way to go, or should I use Ulead Media StudioPro? (if that isn't general enough, I don't know what is)

Thanks for the past and future help...I will repay one day!

Terry in Iowa
Old September 6th, 2002, 07:01 PM   #2
Wrangler

A couple of things to do.

...First thing to suspect with any new installation are installation problems....

So lets elminate the camera-->
Find a friend with another firewire camera and see if you can copy cam-to-cam. Try it both ways. If that works, you can elminate the cam from the problem.

Elminate the cable -->
Take your monster cable to your friend's system and see if it works with the friends's cam. If it does not, bad cable.
Next try you cam and repeat. If that works then your cable is good.

Elminate your system -->
Connect your friend's cam to your system. Does it work? No? Installation/firewire problem. One other problem might be the PCI slot the firewire board is plugged into. Move it to another and try again.

As far as which firewire board to use, get the one recommended by your NLE. A lot of people hold Vegas Video in high regard, but it does not support 4-track (however there are work-arounds). Be prepared to initialize your system because that may be root of your problem.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2002, 10:19 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"VV does not support 4-track "

what does support 4 track over 1394 ? i have a GL 1 does it have 4 track output ? i know the XL can record 4 tracks but does it send all 4 tracks over 1394 ?

i have a panasonic ag dv 2000 deck i can record the other 2 tracks onto tape but there is NO way to output 4 tracks - and i can only listen to 2 tracks at a time on the deck ... do all 1394 cards support 4 track ?

you might try downloading the trial versions of VV and media studio pro to see which you prefer ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2002, 11:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

Cinestream/EditDV

Cinestream will download all 4-tracks. The MAC versions allow you to pull all tracks at the same time, while the PC versions (the version I have) require you do it in two passes.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 01:07 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Scenalyzer Live will also let you pick which stereo track to download. It will not download all 4 at the same time, however.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 01:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Terry

Have you sorted out the source of your problem yet?
Old September 9th, 2002, 02:58 PM   #7
Vidterry

connection problem.

Problem has not been solved yet, but we are moving toward a solution.

I replaced the firewire cable, with no change in situation. Thinking now is that perhaps the firewire card is either faulty or else non-OHCI, even though device manager says it IS compliant.

It is possible (I just don't know) that the card was bundled with the Studio DV software when the computer was assembled, and apparently there have been some problems with Pinnacle hardware NOT being compliant...if the card is even from Pinnacle. The consultant who put the computer together has not been available to ask.

I am just going to get another firewire card (pyro) and put it in, knowing that it is compliant...and hope for the whole thing to work as it is supposed to.

Terry in Iowa

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC