Installation of NLE's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 19th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Installation of NLE's

I recently heard that if you have two separate harddrives, or have a harddrive partitioned. It is best to install your NLE on the harddrive that DOES NOT have the Operating System on it.

Im guessing the reason being is for easier editing while lowering the load on your machine.

Has anyone else heard of this? Does it really help, or is it just rubbish?

I found it interesting, just stuck on if it actually works or not.

Thanks for your time.
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Partitioning one hard drive doesn't really do that much in terms of performance or avoiding dropped frames.

2- Some people say that seperating your video from your programs/OS/main hard drive helps avoid dropped frames on capture. This may have been true in the past, but there are many people successfully using one hard drive.

All eMac and powerbook/iboot Mac users have to capture to an internal drive and it works for them.

On my PC I've been able to work with one HDD fine.

2-
Quote:
It is best to install your NLE on the harddrive that DOES NOT have the Operating System on it.
It doesn't really make a difference.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for you help! I didn't think it would effect to much and I just formatted my computer and was trying to figure out what kind of setup to go with when I saw that. I will just stick with my normal.
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I use only one harddrive with two partitions.
On the C drive, I have installed all the programs, and the D drive is for the video only.

With this setup, I don't lose any of my video files if I need to reinstall windows or something.

But the best would be one drive for windows/programs and one for video.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You should install the physical NLE program like any other program onto your boot drive. If you can store your media onto another drive/partition, you should.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC