Flat Panel Display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flat Panel Display

Greetings,

Any recommendation on a flat panel monitor in the 5oo price range.

Cheers,
-dave
Dave Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 04:54 AM   #2
Wrangler

It's a little above your desired price, but I recently got a 20" Viewsonic VP201s for my editing box; 16ms, 1600x1200 native, thin edges, and pivots. No built-in speakers. You can sometimes find them for about $850 after mfr discount. Been very happy with it so far -- can't wait to get a second one so I can ditch the CRT as a second display!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I have seen 19" generic flats on www.ecost.com for a bit over $300. I don't know if it is a holiday special or how they perform.
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a BenQ monitor I bought online last year and I have been extremely happy with it. They have a 19" model with a 700:1 contrast ratio and I have found the color and quality of mine to be fantastic!

AND... it's under $500.00

http://www.benq.com/index.html

The model is the FP992, just click on the picture of the monitor and it will take you there. They have other monitors as well and I really like mine.

edit: You should look around at their other offerings as well because they have some with faster response times but lower contrast. For the money I've been very impressed with the product line they offer. They even have a 23" 16:10 ratio model for just under $1500.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM   #5
New Boot

Smaller is better ;-)

Any recommendation on a boom mountable one ?
Writer - Director - Multimedia Producer

Palmetto Moon Studios
(410)686-6264

gRivers@PalmettoMoonStudios.com
www.PalmettoMoonStudios.com

George R. Rivers III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #6
Major Player

Dave, I just purchased a Sony HS94p 19inch LCD which has their new Xbrite technology and a 12ms response time. It was the first LCD I have experienced that has no ghosting or echos on fast moving video (ie. video editing and cutting or if you prefer first person video games). The monitor is EXTREMELY bright if you set it to be but is just a tad bit out of your range at $599 after rebates. No LCD should be used for color correction etc. but I have a 19inch CRT for that. Don't take my word for it, see Cnets review: (US site hasn't reviewed but Cnet Asia and Australia have). My only complaint is some backlight spill so that blacks may not be faithful, but again, you should be color correcting on a CRT.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/periphe...075100p,00.htm
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a 18" Mitsubishi Diamondpoint NX86LCD that cost me a little over $450.00 last year on NewEgg.com

It's been great working on video but I also use a 13" Sony for color corrections and fimnal work.
Stephen Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC