What software to edit with? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 1st, 2005, 10:40 PM   #1
New Boot

What software to edit with?

I am currently using pinnacle v9.3 to edit home movies. It is not that good. It seems you have to pay for every little thing. I am currently thinking about making a real movie. I am going to buy a Canon XL2 camera to shoot with, but what software do I need to edit like a pro. I really can't make decision after reading everyones post. I don't know who is pro and who is not. I do not want to buy something that will not do the job and I have to buy an add on everytime I come up with something new. Someone please help.
David Griffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Adobe Premiere Pro

Sony Vegas

Avid Xpress

Will all serve you well for doing more professional videos. This is assuming your planning on sticked with the pc.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:20 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Consider also the Canopus product line.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Wrangler

David,

You can get demos of all the NLE's Brandon has mentioned. I would down load each one, and have a play with them (You normally get 30 days to try them out). Then if you find one you like, find a reputable dealer who is willing to give you a demonstration with it. If you like it, then buy it.

Adobe Premiere Pro:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Sony Vegas:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=501

Avid free DV:

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp?dm=whatsNew
Note: this does not have all the features enabled that the full product has, but it'll give you some idea of what Avid is like.

Canopus Edius:

http://register.canopus.com/US/Suppo...asp&Country=US
Note: You will need to register in order to receive a free trial download of Edius.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Trustee

you should also take a look at pinnacle liquid edition, but watch out for bugs.

both pinnacle and avid have free movies online that demonstrate how their software works... that will help you a bunch, when it comes to getting the most out of your limited evaluation time with the software.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I wouldnt suggest having all the demos installed simultaneously. I gave the Sony Vegas demo a whirl...and installed it along side Premiere Pro 1.5. Sony worked fine...but Premiere acted really screwey after Vegas was installed. As it was my main NLE...Vegas had to go...and it still took an uninstall/re-install to get it to work correcly again.
Here are some of my experiences.

Premiere...in all incarnations since 4.2- I love this app...you can very easily an intuitively import clips, trim them, aply fx or transitions, and render any way you like.

Vegas...been using since 2.0(audio only).- This app is nice also...I did a few tracks on on older version, so I had a little experience with the interface...was not able to immediately edit video...I sow some cool stuff...but it seemed rather clucnky.

Avid.....have used some of the Xpress versions- This app is not for the beginner. Very powerful tools....but tools are only as good as the wielder. The art comes from within. Don't let the Avid snobs talk you into buying an overpriced system, becuase its what "all the real pros use".

Edius-have only observed others edit with this...and it was a demo to show me how bad it was.

Liquid Edition...currently planning to migrate here...Have only seen demos of software and read reviews. Currently have a DVD trial copy on order. Why I am looking towards this proggie. Features and integration. Again tools are only as good as the wielder, but there are some very interesting features. I personally like the multi-cam feature...allowing you to run up to 4 streams of video, then mix them similiar to a live mixer. This in itself is a humongous time saver...if you are editing live performances lets say...or multiple angles of a one time only shot. DVD authoring is embedded in the timeline, and as far as color correction...the demo I watched had a guy pour water out of a decanter and it flowed into his glass as red wine...all with just color correction...that sold me!

Good luck.
AJ Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC