NLE Choices for a home videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #1
New Boot

NLE Choices for a home videos

Just purchased a new Optura Xi, I am replacing an older VHSc that I had for sometime 8yrs, doing analog conversion to digital via the Dazzle Hollywood hardware. Though that was rather time consuming so looking forward to capturing in digital.

I know need to decide on NLE software, hope to not spend too much money in my decision process. I will welcome any ideas you all have. Currently I have available for my use on my XP machine Studio 7, MovieStar5 (no longer supported), MS MovieMaker as well as Adobe Premiere 5. My initial thought is to upgrade Pinnacle Studio 7 to v9 as I like the feature of StoryBoard as an option versus only timeline. Though I have seen posts showing Studio has become buggy. I don't need to do this full time at all.

I have yet to really play with Adobe much since I know that it is like most Adobe products lots it can do but requires a great deal of learning to get good at it.

If anyone has any feedback on NLE I would appreciate it. My main use of camera and NLE will be capturing my two small children to share with grandparents miles away via VCD or DVD. Not being a professional easy to use seems to be high on my list of criteria for an NLE.

Thanks again all here on the board
Mike Meglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Mike,

I think for the purposes you indicated, the Windows Movie Maker II software would be good. It's free, and there are some add-ons available from Microsoft's support site. Use that editor to get you started and then if your needs increase, look at some of the more advanced editors.

regards,

==gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Upgrading to Studio 9 Plus would be a great choice:

1. Modest upgrade cost
2. Provides semi-pro NLE capabilities
3. Provides integrated SmartSound tool for creating very good royalty-free music that is custom created to fit your video length.
4. It's very easy to use.
5. There are a few bugs (as will ALL software), but if you hang out in the Pinnacle forums you'll get good help from peers and Pinnacle.
6. If you later decide you need pro NLE, you can upgrade to Liquid Edition 6 for a modest cost.

Good luck and have fun!
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the praise.

I would consider the Mac Mini as well. For the price of some NLEs you get a computer running Mac OS X as well as all the movie and DVD authoring software included. Now that iMovie and iDVD support wide screen video, you can take advantage of the native 16x9 wide screen mode of your new Optura Xi.

I plan to get a Mac Mini as soon as I can sell my iBook.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #5
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Perry :

I would consider the Mac Mini as well. For the price of some NLEs you get a computer running Mac OS X as well as all the movie and DVD authoring software included. Now that iMovie and iDVD support wide screen video, you can take advantage of the native 16x9 wide screen mode of your new Optura Xi.

I plan to get a Mac Mini as soon as I can sell my iBook. -->>>

Know absolutely nothing on Mac or the Mac Mini, so this is a candid question: can you use a Mac Mini as the base for an FCP workstation?

Sorry about Mac ignorance, as I am a PC man.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Major Player

No problem Carlos.

It will not be the fastest, but I plan to do exactly that, use the Mac Mini as an FCP HD workstation. I will post back when I have it set up and in use.
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for all the tips, I think I am going to try and either upgrade to Studio 9, though wondering if it is too buggy. Read a lot that it is a huge pain and not much of an upgrade. Might have to try and get Studio 8 instead and check and see if I can still get the revisions as was suggested here to 8.5.

Was considering going to Microsoft and getting Movie Maker II, but it looks like the only way to get it is to force the load of SP2. Which from what I have seen only gives me a lot of work to do to correct the problems the boys in Redmond did in creating conflicts. Since I am pretty secure of MS faults in building secure software, Netscape browser and email.

Of course I like the Mac OSx idea, though I like the Mini price, I think I will wait until I can budget for the eMac like that G5 and all in the monitor.
Mike Meglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #8
New Boot

% have used Pinnacle Studio 7,8,9 and all are very crash prone although very user friendly,I was using it to make ads for a TV show at one time.
I now use Adobe Premiere Elements,this version is just out and borrows heavily from its big brother but is much less of a learning curve.
I also have purchased 'Adobe Premiere for Dummies" and am now totally at home with this NLE software after a few days of playing around with it.
Its about USD 99,an excellent choice in my view and worth your consideration.
Not one crash or bug to date.....
Steve Puttock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #9
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

On the PC side, you'll do well with Premeire Elements or Pinnacle Studio 9. We've got a couplke of very nice bundles that include this software, and SV/DV converters that are significantll better than the old Hollywood bridge.

The follwing is from our getting started page

The MOST important decision you are going to make when you get started in digital video editing is picking the right software & hardware combination for you. You want the right hardware to get your video into your computer, then easy to use software that will meet your video editing and DVD authoring needs. All 3 of the prodcuts feature below are good choices for getting started in digital videography.

The Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Deluxe & ADS AV Link with Adobe Premiere Elements were both given our Top 10 Products of 2004 award. Both are easy to learn and master, yet allow you to create very professional looking videos and DVDs. Both include external hardware to allow you to capture and edit old analog footage (VHS, S-Video, 8mm, Hi8) and new DV footage. Best of all are the low prices of each - you would have had to spend well over a thousand dollars for the same level of video editing performance just a few short years ago!

- ADS AV Link API-555 Now with Adobe Premiere Elements $159.95
This new bundle includes the ADS AV Link AV/DV media converter and Adobe's new Premiere Elements video editing software.

- Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Deluxe $235
This is a complete solution that includes the Moviebox Deluxe hardware and Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus editing software.

http://www.videoguys.com/started.html

Gary
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Wrangler

I know you mentioned you'd prefer not to have a timeline, but you might also check-out Vegas Movie Studio for the PC.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC