16.9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 29th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Sorry if iam on the wrong thread but here goes!

I have pinnacle liquid 6, can enybody tell me whats wrong with useing the 16.9 facility? if its ok, and i need it, it would stop the need for a camera that shoots true 16.9 or is there some sort of picture loss with this way.
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Major Player

I running LE 5.6 and have been struggling with how to produce 16:9 from 4:3 footage. When you edit the 4:3 in the 16:9, basically what it does is stretch the footage to fit, similiar to what a 16:9 TV does. I authored a DVD with the same 4:3 footage at 16:9 and 4:3. I couldn't see a noticable difference on the TV. The TV will play the 16:9, but it's already stretched. It plays the 4:3 and the TV stretches it. They looked the same. After weeks of searching, I have found a possible solution. Take 4:3 footage and into a 16:9 project. Now what you need to do is use the 2d editor and crop the footage to 133%, which means that you will be zooming in 33%. You then have a little extra footage that you can move the footage up or down a little for framing purposes. I did a quick test with some 4:3 GL-1 footage and it looked pretty good. No noticeable resolution loss. If you have 16:9 footage that you want to make 4:3, you do the oposite and put it in a 4:3 project then reduce the footage by 25% to 75%. I'm running a 2800+ Athlon with a 1 gig of ram and noticed that it took me about 4 minutes to render 1 minute of 4:3 footage to 16:9. I hope this answers your question.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David,

I will look into that, it would be great if it does the trick, and give's you good 16.9. I just wonder if it matches the cameras that give you true 16.9.
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:06 PM   #4
Major Player

If it's shot correctly, it should look pretty good, but it won't be as good as something shot in native 16:9. You'll have to be the judge if it will work for your project. Have fun. If you learn anything new, please let me know.
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #5
Major Player

David,

Can you go into more detail please, you say you crop you footage
does that mean from top to bottom or from left to right.

thanks
Ian
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Major Player

What you want to do is after you make the 16:9 project, use the 2d filter and change the size of the clip to 133% instead of the 100% that it already is. It will look like you have zoomed in on the clip, which you have. You then will have a little play with moving the clip left or right and up and down. So your letting the viewable window do the cropping for you. I hope this explains it a little better. For 16:9 to 4:3 you do the reverse, reduce the clip by 25% making it at 75% actual size, basically zooming out of the picture.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

David: just for your information it is written as 16:9 (or optionally
as 16/9) and not 16.9! What's the difference, the . is a fraction
indicating a number.

16:9 is actually 1.78 as a number (divide 16 by 9) to get the
aspect ratio as a number. Or the horizontal is 1.78 times larger
than the vertical if the pixels are SQUARE (pixel aspect ratio is 1.0)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC