Editing software compared. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Glenn....I really like the color corrections!
The two I liked most are the guy (no fat chicks) and the girl.
These are very good examples of making a movie look great!

I've seen a review about Magic Bullet Suite that works with Vegas. From what I could see was that the collor correction was also great. Dreamy look, Matrix look...this could work for me!
Johan Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Both Vegas and Premiere Pro have Magic Bullet versions for them I believe.

Magic Bullet is a very easy tool to use for primary color correction (corrections that affect the whole image). It is great for stylized looks (i.e. Matrix, bleach bypass, etc.). That webpage was for a mockumentary drama-type pilot, so I didn't go for a stylized look.

However it does not do any secondary color correction or masking, and it takes a **long** time to render. You can also get very comparable results in Vegas, although it may take a little more button pushing in certain cases.

If the case of your favorite images:
The over-the-shoulder shot of the girl used a mask on the girl and the wall behind her. You can think of it as a cutoff.

That selectrion then was brightened... so the girl's face gets bright, as well as the wall behind her. It looks like there is a lighting source in the background out of the frame. Because I didn't include the right side of the frame, it's darker there and acts as a frame or acts as like a vignette effect.

Magic Bullet wouldn't really be the appropriate tool for that shot.

The same thing goes for the no fat chicks-tshirt guy shot... the director is going for a 'documentary' look.

Anyways... it seems like I'm digressing here. I'm not really sure what the point of this message was anyways.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I was just looking at Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 that has 5.1 surround sound and colour correction.
Phil Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #19
Inner Circle

"What would a DTS encoder cost?"

hehehehe
i was looking at gettin licensed for DTS (I do alot of film and distribution, so Dolby Digital has been a apart fo my studio for a number of years... ) but i wanted to expand so DTS was the next choice..
Funy though.. that it would cost me $2000 AUD for the DTS encoder alone.. Vegas set me back 1200 for the whole Vegas5+DVD... which included the certified Dolby encoder as standard....
Another option was a Nuendo rig, soooo i thought $2000 would be better spent elsewhere..

When it comes down to it, each application does things differently as well as doing different things.. i jsut LOVE the region filters in Edius.. i also like the soft focus, coupled with an oversaturated colour curve from vegas and you get a stunnign shining glossy airbrushed look.. u can literally ditch ur Matrox RTx100 or Storm 2 now..
then I like the way premiere does its colour change.. and auto correct.. pity its rendering is so slow.. and Vegas and Avid (if Avid was 40k, id still think it was a good editor.. )well ive rambled enough about that..

My point is that i have made the investment to buy, learn and use each and every application for its strong points.. whats strong in one system may be weak in another.. and having access to all of them is prolly the smartest thing i have done within my business.. i can literally do ANYTHING with video with minimal fuss without the contrived attitude of "which one is better"..
Theyre all good in different ways.. how u use them.. well.. thats another story ;)

and I agree with the comment on the FX/Z1.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #20
Inner Circle

<<<... u can literally ditch ur Matrox RTx100 or Storm 2 now...>>>

Although these products are less important now than they were in the past, I still use my DVStorm when I want maximum real-time performance or fast MPEG2 output. So like you said, it's all about using every available tool when it's beneficial to do so, and not worrying about being limited to any particular solution.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Well...too bad I dont have enough money for buying all the packages!

Peter:
I found a Licensed DTS encoder for $499 USD.
I emailed sony if I am able to use the dts stream in dvd architect 2.
You agreed with the comment on the FX/Z1??
To buy or not to buy...that's the question :D
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #22
Sponsor: JET DV

I emailed sony if I am able to use the dts stream in dvd architect 2.

I believe that answer will be NO.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #23
Major Player

Detailed Comparison of NLEs

For a comparison put together by Pinnacle, see Comparison of Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6 with the other leading NLEs

For a more detailed comparison, see the link to a PDF file on Detailed Software Comparison at the bottom of the page.

There are not many LE6 users on this forum, so you will not see a lot of people recommending it. But LE6 is an outstanding NLE with features and performance not found in many other NLEs. LE6 was just released last fall, so most people have not seen it or used it yet. And yes, it has a few bugs in it (as all SW does). But a LE6 service pack is supposed to be released very soon (Feb/Mar) that will address these bugs.

Someone mentioned that background rendering is not important. This couldn't be further from the truth. In order to view the video from your NLE timeline on a NTSC monitor, it will need to be rendered. LE6 uses both your CPU and your GPU to quickly render while you are working on other things. It does NOT in any way interfere with your work. You will find that you often will want to view the video from your timeline during the course of editing.

Choosing a NLE is a tough job. Take your time, review all the info at the manufacturer's web sites, get as many opinions as reasonable (but remember they are JUST opinions and may contain factual errors), and where possible, download and try out the demo versions of each NLE you are really interested in.

Even though trying out each NLE is a good idea, keep in mind that it takes considerable time to learn how to use each NLE, and they are all different. Some people find some NLEs to be difficult or confusing at first. But then, after they learn the pecularities of that NLE, find it to be very powerful.

Finally, be aware that you can obtain substantial discounts on student/academic versions. For example, LE6 usually sells for $500, but the academic ver is only $170.

Good luck with your search.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #24

Someone mentioned that background rendering is not important. This couldn't be further from the truth. In order to view the video from your NLE timeline on a NTSC monitor, it will need to be rendered.

Vegas previews to an external monitor via firewire without rendering (or background rendering).
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #25
Major Player

Edward,

Technically you are correct. But from a practical point of view, any corrections or special effects that you apply to the captured video must be processed in some manner to display on an external monitor. This is, in essence, "rendering" the video for preview purposes. This "preview rendering" may not be as full or complete as the actual rendering done to output your final video to file.

LE6 has a similar capability.

Does Vegas preview all effects without rendering?
Does it output full quality video when previewing?

Best Regards,
Pete
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I think realtime 'preview' is scalable in different NLE's by virtue of ram, cpu speed and frame rates or field choice.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #27
Major Player

LE6 Has 1,000s of Real-Time Effects

LE6 provides 1,000's of 2D and 3D resolution independent SD and HD real-time effects powered by Liquid's SmartRT. This means it has real-time preview of these effects without actual rendering. LE6 is one of the only NLEs to make extensive use of your graphic board's GPU.

For more info see LE6 Features and Specifications.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #28

Does Vegas preview all effects without rendering?
Yes

Does it output full quality video when previewing?
It can. Depends on settings, CPU speed, effects used, etc...

If you choose Good (Full) or Best (Full) then you will have full quality video when previewing. However, this may come at a sacrifice of framerate.

If you leave it at the default Preview (Auto) then the quality will be slightly diminished but the framerate will be higher.

Naturally, you can always to a RAM Render on any particular section if you MUST see it in full-quality/full-framerate.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Pete....thanks for the input :)

You seem to know how LE6 works.
One little question, how does the 5.1 audio work?
Can it pan the audio with keyframes?
With the dvd making option, will it encode to Dolby Digital?
I want to try the program, but i have to let a cd send to me and this will take some days.
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #30
Major Player

LE6 Dolby Digital 5.1

Johan,

My understanding is that LE6 provides capability to author Dolby Digital 5.1 and encode it on a DVD. I have not personally done this, so I can't really speak from personal experience. You may need to use an external program lik Nero to burn the DVD with Dolby Digital. For more info please see the following:
Detailed Review of LE6 by Peter Wells (DV Doctor) at Hexus.net
Liquid Edition 6.0 Manual

Also, you can post your questions on the Pinnacle Liquid Edition forums and get excellent replys from both Pinnacle and expert LE6 users.

Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC