External Hard drive Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 8th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

External Hard drive Problems

Hey guys. I have a Maxtor one touch 200gb firewire/usb 2.0 ext hard drive and am having some issues. I will be transfering files or conforming files that I capture in Premiere pro and all of a sudden I get a write error pop in my task bar and the drive gets disconected from the pc. It still shows in hardware but it says it was shut down or something due to a problem. I defrag often and I run scan disk when I need to. Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong? My project file is on a seprate drive and only the video files are on the ext drive. Plus the files that it says it can;t save on the dirve are folders that don;t exist. Like ones with $ in front of them. I am using XP and am not using the one touch software it came with. Any thoughts would help.
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I also have a Maxtor one touch (160 GB), and I must admit I had
a faulting drive (that was replaced).

In what way do you have it connected? Firewire or USB(2)?

What is the file system on the drive?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
New Boot

You should run some test with it to make sure its the drive not the computer. If its a firewire drive, plug in your DV camera and make sure your FW or USB card works. Every so often you'll get a Jacked or defective drive. I had one external fail on me once only because I dropped it, dough. Try pluging this drive into another computer.
Steven Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Tourist

I just picked up a One-Touch 200GB a few weeks ago and had a couple of errors initially, but once I downloaded and installed the latest updates for Retrospect HD, it's behaved fine. It sounds like your write errors are somewhat intermittent and may be some form of timeout. The error code(s) may be useful. Do you remember what they were?
David Macy-Beckwith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC