Does original timecode in DV transfer over when digitizing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 11th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Does original timecode in DV transfer over when digitizing?

I have some DVCAM footage which was transfered from digibeta masters. They both have the same time code.

When I copy this video onto miniDV and not synch up the recording so that it starts when the original plays, does it restart the time code, or can I somehow keep the origianl timecode? Also, when I digitize this video (either from the DCVAM or the miniDV) into a computer (say a PC or Mac/FCP) is there a way for the computer to keep the original timecode as on the digibeta master?

I'm asking because I'm thinking about whether the EDL I make in the future will be acurate.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Major Player

The timecode on your dub is always set by your recorder -- some recorders have the option to replicate the incoming timecode, but many recorders ignore it completely.

When you have the dub house make the DVCam to DigiBeta dubs, tell them you want the timecode preserved -- if they can't do it, shop for another dub house.

When you transfer the DVCam to your PC via Firewire the timecode will be preserved with most software -- some may require that you use 'batch capture mode' to preserve timecode, some may require that you have 'device control' properly set ... but all major NLE software will preserve tape timecode when you transfer to your HD.

My personal preference for DV transfer to my HD is this:
http://www.scenalyzer.com

After the material is transferred, sorted, named, et cetera I import the clips into my editor and start a project. The result is an EDL and batch capture list that can be used with the DigiBeta tapes too if I prefer.

HTH

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC