file sizes after rendering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 4th, 2002, 01:23 PM   #1
New Boot

file sizes after rendering

I just rendered a simple 10 second test file in After Effects, which was full DV widescreen, which after applying test cinelook effects turned into a massive 78MB file!!! Why has the file multiplied in size many times and how can I get it back to a more manageable size. To render a whole project will take me one hell of an enormous drive, not the 40 GB I have at the moment!

Should movie files come out of After Effects greatly bloated like this? All I did was add film grain and dust particles, nothing more.
goldenfleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 02:04 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

10 seconds of standard DV would be about 36 Meg. Are you rendering uncompressed?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 03:03 AM   #3
New Boot

render settings

I had composition settings on FULL so I suppose I may have been. What is the best acceptable setting for a final image as good as the DV original? I definitely dont want to lose any quality at all just trying to apply a few effects, in this case using the day for night filter effect for a few scenes I am working with.

Can you recommend the best setting for rendering that maintains the integrity of the DV image as it was originally recorded in the camera, yet is not massively hungry on disk space. I have what will be a 43 minute movie and only 20GB space left for this project, but I dont want to lose any quality as it will be going back to the DV camera at some point.
Old October 6th, 2002, 02:12 PM   #4

Just render back to NTSC DV (or PAL as the case may be). DO NOT choose Uncompressed. You should have a built-in setting for standard DV.
Old October 7th, 2002, 03:13 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

I'd like to cut in on this action if I could. I attempted to create a quicktime movie of a PSA I edited in Vegas Video 3. I selected the PSA on the timeline, chose "render to new track," and saved it as a quicktime movie at preview quality. What did I come up with? a 1.6 gig file that was not listed as a quicktime movie in my hard drive, but a "video clip". . .had little icon of a projector. Where'd I go wrong?

By the way, the original PSA was one minute long.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 05:05 AM   #6
New Boot

other post

Please see my new thread re rendering with premiere. I found a simple way of rendering by using EXPORT option, which actually still renders all the effects you have added and exports to the hard drive as a full quality DV file, with all the settings for full DV already done, without messing about with output modules and other technical data. I thought as it was so fast it would just export the original DV file with no effects, but no, it was all done twice as fast as using the render menu options.

Somewhat confusing software for the beginner. I think maybe I should have started out with something a bit simpler with auto wizards, etc, instead of this very advanced software Premiere 6. The help file is also corrupted which is a nuisance, so I have to press every button and menui n sight until I find what I want to do. The output module settings got me totally lost, so I am glad I found a much easier way.
Old October 8th, 2002, 12:19 PM   #7

In Vegas Video, you should select the area you want rendered and then, instead of "rendering to a new track", you should go to File - Render As. In this box, pick the type of file you want (.mov in your case) and then you can customize the settings and give a name for the saved file. This should give you full control over your .mov creation process.
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Ah yes, thank you. Does it say somewhere what the file size will be, so you can tell before you render?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:36 PM   #9

Not that I know of. With MPEG 2, you can use a formula to figure that out. With .mov and other "web" type files, I have always just rendered and looked at the size of the resulting file.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC