Warming Filter effect in MSP 7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Warming Filter effect in MSP 7?

Any one done this with MSP or equivalent?

I am in the process of just finding and buying a filter for the cam, but would like to know how to do this in post as well.

If anyone has a solution to this and you do not use MSP, please be kind enough to break it down into general steps.
Or actually, I could also try in After Effects. I would be able to take step by step directions in AE.

Thanks, Jay
Jay Noggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's the general approach for most editing programs:

Find the color balance filter. Adjust it to make colors warmer, or closer to orange. The orange would be the opposite of pure blue.

OR

Many programs have a "telecine-style" color corrector with three color wheels. By convention the right wheel controls white balance (for highlights) so drag that wheel warmer or towards orange. If there is only one wheel, it is probably for white balance so drag it warmer.

2- I think with consumer cameras, the auto-white balance of the camera will defeat the point of a warming filter. In fact if you can get white balance cards that throw off your camera's AWB so you end up with a slightly warmer or cooler color temperature- this can be a better idea.

Or do it in post, which takes rendering and is free.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #3
New Boot

Glenn: thanks for responding.

Both my cams are 3 chip with manual everything so I use manual WB.

I have tested the filter on cam idea with a square Cokin Warming Filter I have (held it up over the WA lens) and it is a much improved picture.
What I am after is that "Golden Hour" lighting in movies.

Thanks, Jay
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Warming color in MSP 7

Hi, Jay.

I edit in MSP 7.2 and I normally do what Glenn Chan recommends, which is apply the Color Balance filter to the clip. Given that MediaStudio Pro is sorely lacking in its color correction tools, I find myself warming my footage when need simply by decreasing the Blue value (the filter offer sliders for red, green, and blue levels). The Brightness and Contrast filter may help you too, after you get the frame orange enough.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC