DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Avid Xpress Pro HD vs FCP HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/43708-avid-xpress-pro-hd-vs-fcp-hd.html)

Pete Wilie April 28th, 2005 01:10 PM

Avid Xpress Pro HD vs FCP HD

I'm looking for an impartial review comparing the latest versions of Avid Xpress Pro HD and Apple Final Cut Pro HD. If you know of any, please post the link(s).

I have searched this forum and the Internet with google, but haven't really found a good RECENT review.

TIA.

Richard Alvarez April 28th, 2005 01:19 PM

HD is not available on the Mac version of Avid yet, if that's important to you. It's 'comming', but not yet available. And HDV is due in "Mid '05", on the PC platform.

You have to look at the cost of hardware, in addition to software too. The Mojo, for Xpress, and an AJA or similar card for FCP.

Luis Caffesse April 28th, 2005 01:34 PM

I'd also be interested in a side by side review of these apps.
Pete, if you happen to find anything, post it in this thread.
(i'll do the same).

I'd also be interested in hearing from those who have experience with both.
Anyone out there?

Pete Wilie April 28th, 2005 01:39 PM

Well, I just needed to look a little further down in the google pages. Found a review:

Final Cut Pro HD versus Avid Xpress Pro HD at geniusdv.com.

Looks pretty decent, and unbiased.

Any others?

Richard Alvarez April 28th, 2005 02:25 PM

The list looks wrong to me in some areas. For instance, Avid does support multiple formats on the timeline- From the website

Better format flexibility. Capture and output native DV25, DV50, and DV100 (DVCPRO HD) media. Mix DV , SD , and HD in the same timeline. Take advantage of ultra-efficient HDV*. Enjoy exceptional, high-quality export flexibility to formats such as WMV HD, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), MPEG 2, and Flash.
ENDQUOTE

I'm pretty sure HD supports subframe audio editing as well, (Down to a quarter frame) But I'm still using 4.31 untill I finish a project I'm working on.

They ignore the fact that Avid ships with Boris Calligraphy for titling, as well as Marquee, and the thrid party apps open within Avid, like Boris, squeeze etc. even if you don't own the "studio bundle".

Other than that, I think it's fairly accurate. OF course, anything cut on an AXP system will transport directly to a high end avid.

Like I said, HDV is not available in Avid yet... 'mid 'o5' whatever that means. But I think the recent purchase of Pinnacle systems had something to do with that.

Pete Wilie April 28th, 2005 02:31 PM

Thanks for the corrections Richard.

Is the review just wrong, or is it because an older version of Avid was reviewed?

Richard Alvarez April 29th, 2005 01:21 PM

I have no idea why he missed those points.

Appropos this thread, just got my VIDEOGRAPHY mag in the mail, and they do a review of both systems. Good read, but again, they miss the sub frame audio and a few other points. But it's a good read for both systems.