Avid Xpress Pro HD vs FCP HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Avid Xpress Pro HD vs FCP HD

I'm looking for an impartial review comparing the latest versions of Avid Xpress Pro HD and Apple Final Cut Pro HD. If you know of any, please post the link(s).

I have searched this forum and the Internet with google, but haven't really found a good RECENT review.

TIA.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

HD is not available on the Mac version of Avid yet, if that's important to you. It's 'comming', but not yet available. And HDV is due in "Mid '05", on the PC platform.

You have to look at the cost of hardware, in addition to software too. The Mojo, for Xpress, and an AJA or similar card for FCP.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd also be interested in a side by side review of these apps.
Pete, if you happen to find anything, post it in this thread.
(i'll do the same).

I'd also be interested in hearing from those who have experience with both.
Anyone out there?
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, I just needed to look a little further down in the google pages. Found a review:

Final Cut Pro HD versus Avid Xpress Pro HD at geniusdv.com.

Looks pretty decent, and unbiased.

Any others?
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The list looks wrong to me in some areas. For instance, Avid does support multiple formats on the timeline- From the website

Better format flexibility. Capture and output native DV25, DV50, and DV100 (DVCPRO HD) media. Mix DV , SD , and HD in the same timeline. Take advantage of ultra-efficient HDV*. Enjoy exceptional, high-quality export flexibility to formats such as WMV HD, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), MPEG 2, and Flash.
ENDQUOTE

I'm pretty sure HD supports subframe audio editing as well, (Down to a quarter frame) But I'm still using 4.31 untill I finish a project I'm working on.

They ignore the fact that Avid ships with Boris Calligraphy for titling, as well as Marquee, and the thrid party apps open within Avid, like Boris, squeeze etc. even if you don't own the "studio bundle".

Other than that, I think it's fairly accurate. OF course, anything cut on an AXP system will transport directly to a high end avid.

Like I said, HDV is not available in Avid yet... 'mid 'o5' whatever that means. But I think the recent purchase of Pinnacle systems had something to do with that.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the corrections Richard.

Is the review just wrong, or is it because an older version of Avid was reviewed?
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I have no idea why he missed those points.

Appropos this thread, just got my VIDEOGRAPHY mag in the mail, and they do a review of both systems. Good read, but again, they miss the sub frame audio and a few other points. But it's a good read for both systems.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC