Windows XP doing its own thing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 27th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Windows XP doing its own thing?

I'm not very familiar with Windows XP. When I log on, I always have to wait while Windows opens the "my documents folder". I don't want it to do this, and I can't figure out how to stop it. Anyone know whats going on? Thanks. Everything else is fine.

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net
http://www.jasonbrunner.com
http://www.fleurpost.net

(Thats just, like, my opinion, man)
Jason Brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Trustee

uggh. The solution may not be all that pretty. Usually, this means some application created a blank entry, did not correctly create an entry, or did not correctly delete an entry in one of the Run sections of the registry. Checking and editing the registry may be the solution to this. Not a big deal, if you know what is good and what is bad. Since it is My Documents, it is not a blank entry (which would open a System32 folder usually).

In HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run will be an entry that has My Documents in its path. The exe or object of that item will not exist in the My Documents directory. When it trys to run it, it will fail and just open the folder. The uggh part is that there are wierd entries in there that may not seem to make sense, but deleting them will prevent stuff from running.

I hate recommending deleting entries in the registry as it can be hazardous to the point of having to rebuild a system from scratch.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Another perhaps safer way might be to do this:

Start -> run -> msconfig

It has a tab called something like (auto)run or startup and it can show you
the programs it tries to run. Here you can disable them without removing them,
so you have a bit of trial and error.

Also look into Start -> All Programs -> Startup in your start menu.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC