Overclockers, be aware!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Overclockers, be aware!!!

If you are interested in overclocking, maybe this article is of interest to you: Adobe Forums: Overclocking the i7, a beginners guide

It could not be posted here directly because it was too long.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Hey Harm, its me again to suggest an edit. When you bring up memtest, you state that you shouldn't run it until you notice problems. I just experienced hell for the last few months because 1 of 6 sticks was bad but it only caused occasional problems. If someone is trying to get a stable OC, they must run 'memtest86' before OC'ing otherwise they won't know for certain if their OC is the culprit of any instability issues.

I think its a good habit for anyone installing new ram to run memtest86 immediately. This also helps identify problems early so it can be returned which is much easier and quicker than getting an RMA under warranty.

And people should be informed that the memcheck/test included with Windows or any OS is junk compared to Memtest86.

Other than that, job well done!
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Trustee

Steve,

Your question in another thread about overclocking triggered my interest to find more about it than what I posted in response to your question. It also led me to shave off a couple of degrees under load on my C0/C1 stepping. Running Prime95 for 7 hours in the torture test was completely stable at 3.78 GHz with temperatures between 70-76 C at a vCore of 1.225V. The temps during the previously mentioned render vary between 69 and 73 C at 100% load.
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Taqgging this so I can find it and run the memtest when I get home.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Might be a nice software to own, only $9. I get paranoid about ram although I just have 4 gig right now.
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Whenever I build a new new machine, or suspect hardware problems in a current one, the first program I run is Memtest86, usually overnight. If you can't talk to memory with 100% reliability, nothing else really matters.

The second program I run is hard drive test software to test/exercise the heck out of the new hard drives. If there's a problem, I like to find it as rapidly as possible while it's still easy to return parts. And I haven't wasted time installing software or media which will have to be redone.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

which hard drive tester do you like?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Trustee

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Actually, this is the better version and they don't try charging anyone for a free tool. Its updated to 4.0 and includes support for all the new i7/i5 chips.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Trustee

I just tried it, running at 3.8GHZ with vDimm @ 1.50V, DDR3-1456 at 8-8-8-19 timings and it went without any hiccups. During Prime95 temps were between 68-74 C after 2 hours of torture testing.
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
When I get a new hard drive, I simply do a thorough re-format before using it. That will usually flag a defective drive.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I've had excellent results with Western Digital drives so I...

1. Use Western Digital's diagnostic utilities to wipe the drive, then read it back.
It's relatively fast and if it doesn't get through this, my interest in the drive is zero.

2. I then use a utility called SpinRite. One of its operational modes is to
A. Read the drive, verify the data.
B. Invert the data, write it back to the drive, read the drive, verify the new data.
C. Write the original data back to the drive, read the drive, verify the original data.

On 500 GB drives and above it does take quite a while to run, but it gives me a chance to observe the drives performance and operating temperature. And by the time it's done and if the # of errors is zero, I know if I'm comfortable with the drive.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Anyone know if there a similar guide for socket 1156?
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Trustee

William,

I'm not aware of a similar guide specifically for P55 mobo's, but the general principles will hold. The P55 may require more fine tuning in the voltages area as they are a tad more difficult to overclock at stock voltages than the X58 mobo's. I haven't used a P55 mobo yet, so I can't give you hands-on results, but the i7-860/870 are capable of similar overclocking as the 1366 CPU's. Take your time, test stability while watching voltages and temperatures. Take it one step at a time. It will take time, but better to set it up nicely and stable, then burning your CPU or memory. Let us know how you set up your system. Many will profit from your experiences.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:48 AM   #14
Major Player

I overclocked my computer, tested everything 100% with all the tools, could run prime stuff for days on end without a single error ever, 1 thread, 2 threads 100, ran all the memtests, then ran memtests at the same time as prime tests. Then cranked up the GPU testing too. test test test. Add in some "chipset" testing by running drives and trying to combine tests.

Had the thing going some ~35% faster on AIR, with a cheap heatsync well mounted, and a special case that brings in more outside air to the cpu, Plus usefull chipset cooling and regulator cooling. Thermal fans roll up in speed as needed to keep the temps not only normalised but also stable. Pci locked proper memory set a touch down.
all that stuff.

Started editing video :-) everything was wonderfull, pumped out the final DVD, and noticed a few tiny data errors on the dvd :-(. sure enough my OC no mater how well tested, was causing some little specs on the video.
SO
it was back around all over again, tone the excesses down a bit analise the video, check test the video, etc.

when i got done, i was still at a good ~25% over, then undervoltaged almost everything using a Quiet PC guide and it is cooler faster more stable than overvoltaging and very quiet except when working hard. (cpu is still slightly overvoltaged, but not neer as much as the board itself would set it to do its auto overclocking)

I will admit that the overclockers did indicate how to get to the MAX for my board, and they did say that for full stable continual operation , a notch down from there would be wise. (had i listened) You do have to account for things like dust landing and slightly insulating things over time.

So make sure you check your video too, i dont know if its any harder on any one item than say PRIME torturing the CPU, or setting up some of the other tests to selectivly test more memory or more cpu, but video doesnt do just one thing like prime, and i thought i had all that covered.

Crasy overclockers revel in thier overvoltaging (and need it for what they are doing), what they often dont observe is that a very minor voltage adjustment takes the very LOW voltage HIGH amperage things and pumps up the amps to rediculous levels like 60Amps.
So
while they had CPUs cooled down to 35*C with thier stuff, Power Regulators on the boards were hitting 70+*C . Very few boards are the power regulators monitored for thier temps, or cooled properly.
they were cooling things to the extreeme but completly blind to many other parts on the motherboard that were overheating WAY more than the CPU itself.
If you want to see what is going on everywhere, a IR Temperature probe can see what is going on in more places, and is only about $20 it will reveal some interesting things for very cheap.

I would Never say Dont overclock :-) no way, but i am trying to point out a few things, that might be different from someone who is experimenting and having major bragging rights, to normal computer use overclocking that can be done down just a BIT from where they go to a very happy long lived cool quiet , low power, and fast all 3. It depends (of course) on the board and all.
i was Very surprised when some people at overclocker.com actually got Better (normalised) overclocking rates by lowering not raising the voltages on certain items. Thanks to thier step away from the insanity, i get my cake and eat it too.

Last edited by Marty Welk; December 22nd, 2009 at 05:28 AM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC