Need a method for creating TC window dubs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Need a method for creating TC window dubs

Hello to all:

Does anyone have a method for creating Time Coded window dubs from their DV masters for the client to view on their own?

I need to give my client DVD dubs from the DVCAM originals so she can work up a rough edit log and I need to get the time code on the screen.

Is there a firewire reader device that will output composite video with TC superimposed like my little Horita (they don't offer anything, I called) unit used to do for Beta tapes?

BTW: I've check out the software "sticky" on time/date but the problem is I'd have to capture all the tapes into my system and then make copies and... this would be a pain and the whole reason for pre-screening what we shot in the first place.

Got to be "poor man's" solution to this one out there somewhere!

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by George Odell; June 27th, 2005 at 11:30 AM.
George Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

What NLE are you using? More information always helps. In AVID, you take the clip, drop "TIMECODE WINDOW" On it, and export.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I just turn on the timecode display on my deck and play the tape. Same works using a camera. This is coming from my MiniDV tapes - not DVCam but the principal should be the same. Don't even need to capture to get the timecode added.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #4
Major Player

My Panasonic DV-2000 will not output time... just the date and you can barely read it on a well lit scene. Not sure if my Sony DSR-1 back will do this but I don't think so.

Hey Edward: What deck do you use that will output time and will it also output SMPTE time code?
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I was assuming since the client needed a DVD to work off of, that there would be some capturing and encoding in the process.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Major Player

I use a Pioneer DVD-R recorder and can do it real time.
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Major Player

As I suspected, the DSR-1 DVCAM back has a Time Code BNC jack but it does not output Time Code off tape on playback... damn. If it did I could use my good old Horita window burner to make the DVD dubs.

Looks like I'm stuck capturing the whole tape, using something like that dVTS software and then playing the copy back out again.

Lots of extra work for sure.
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

My deck is a Panasonic AG-DV2000 and it will output SMPTE timecode. The menu option is fairly well buried but it IS there. Going from memory, I think you have to use the remote menu buttons to find it.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Yep, you are correct sir. I found it. Problem is it's barely visible and it's located over part of the talents face. Not very "window dub" friendly.

My client will not got for it like this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been able to make this vDTS software work (from the sticky page) for this purpose and it seems to do a great job. You can set the display to any font on your system, at any point size AND place it anywhere you want it on the screen to boot. It also reads my SMPTE time code accurately.

I'll just have to plan on dumping the whole tape into my system, passing it through this program and then firewire the window-burned version back out to my DVD-R recorder.

Last edited by George Odell; June 27th, 2005 at 02:45 PM.
George Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Here's a device that can provide what you need.

www.spcomms.com/ltcexport
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

George, that's an AG-DV2000 deck that you're saying doesn't output a timecode readout? That's the deck I have as well and Edward is correct. You have to use the remote to enter the OSD (On Screen Display) menu to turn the display to auto or manual. It will stay on continuously in the manual mode but will autohide after about 5 seconds in auto. The numbers are real skinny and hard to see though. I wish they either made fatter numbers or put a field behind the numbers.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC