Dual Xeon 5520 vs i7 920 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #31
Major Player

I'm second guessing my decision to wait on the video card. Now I'm thinking of ordering it. However, I have a question:

The GTX 285 comes in 2 different memory sizes; 1 GB and 2 GB. The 2GB card is around $40 or so more, and at the moment out of stock pretty much everywhere. Is it worth it to wait for that version to come back in stock, or is that extra 1GB not going to be much use? I'm assuming having the extra RAM is better.

Next, which brand would be best? I'm seeing a lot of EVGA, XFX, and BFG TECH reviewed on the popular computer retailer's site, but only by gamers.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #32
Trustee

With MPE around the corner, I would get the 2 GB version. There is no hurry yet, since CS5 is not expected before NAB or even IBC 2010. But the extra memory available for MPE can only be beneficial and the cost difference is negligent.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #33
Major Player

I decided to go with the 2GB version, but it was out of stock pretty much everywhere. I found an Ebay shop that is in California (where I am) and I got the EVGA 2GB 285 for $40 less than from the 'egg, and I should receive it tomorrow even with standard UPS ground.
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Craig, have you used the Matrox Mini with Premiere yet? I have a Mini that was used all of two days because of the Mini's lag when switching from Source to Program and vice versa. The Matrox software also ruined a one month old Vista x64 install even though I uninstalled the software after only a few days. Another problem I encountered was the Matrox presets. If the Mini was not plugged in, AE would crash upon starting the app and Premiere would crash upon opening a project with a Matrox preset. This last issue led me to try opening pproj files on other computers without the matrox software and they all crashed. So, opening a pproj file down the road without the correct matrox software installed could cause issues. If you read Matrox's support forum, you will see many other possible problems. I am led to believe that Matrox is geared for Macs and only has PC support as an afterthought.

And the Mini doesn't support 24p.

If your goal is to monitor your video, Premiere has a built in playback setting which mimics what the Mini and others basically do - but with NO lag. Also, recent nvidia cards have adjustments for just about everything the Mini does except Blue only (which is easily solved). Nvidia cards even can display bars.
OK, here's what I found: Monitoring with the Nvidia GTX 285 was not good. The card does not have an HDMI port, but comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I am using a Samsung 30" CRT HDTV (1080p) and I couldn't find a driver for it, so it detected as a generic monitor. It seemed as if using this method through the video card taxed the system more, and what WAS smooth realtime playback turned into jerky motion and a very unusable timeline playback without rendering. I then installed the Mini, and it's buttery smooth. I will stick with it for now.

As far as lag, I don't notice any.
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #35
Trustee

Harm, what info have you been told as to the release date of CS5?

Craig, the jerkiness most likely is due to the Project settings and the preview settings.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #36
Trustee

Steve,

As always Adobe is very close mouthed about releases. All I can do is look at their past introductions and extrapolate to the future.

There are two events where it would be logical to introduce CS5: NAB or IBC.

In the past the introduction of new versions were around 18 months apart. CS4 was introduced at IBC 2008, so the logical next step would be at NAB 2010, but...

Adobe announced that CS5 will be 64 bit only, a major undertaking, and

Sneek previews of MPE mean another major step forward and thus time.

From the comments here and there, the optimists are betting for NAB 2010, but I feel (just a gut feeling, nothing tangible) that IBC 2010 is more realistic. Announcements at NAB may still be looks at what CS5 has to offer, but personally I think it will only be available at IBC.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM   #37
Major Player

Harm,

Is there any issue with running at 4.2ghz if my temps seem fine? I am running idle in the upper 30's C and under Prime95 in the mid 70's max. I finally got to overclock, as I was waiting on a replacement set of bolts from Noctua. My D14 kit had one of the four bolts not threaded (they forgot to machine the threads), so I couldn't fully tighten the cooler down. I got the replacement and it makes a huge difference now.

I am running the memory at stock settings (1600 mhz latency at 8). I got a few BSOD's after rebooting but they were IRQ issues I believe created by moving expansion boards around to better optimize airflow (I had to remove the motherboard to change that Noctua bolt). So far I am up and running at 4.2ghz though. Should I worry about anything? Also, I have my vcore and QPI/uncore at 1.35. I was getting random BSOD with them at 1.30 so I bumped them up and seem stable in Prime95 now. Is there much benefit in tinkering and trying to drop those down a notch or two to maximize? Or is it safe to just leave it where it is?

Update:
I just finished running PPBM4 again. My Total Benchmark Time @ stock 2.66ghz was 60.1 seconds. Overclocked to 4.2 I ended up at 36.7 seconds! =) BIG improvement.

Last edited by Craig Coston; January 21st, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC