Can you Pick the editing software for ME? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #16
Major Player

Remember i am not the only one reading it :-) i spent years reading stuff from here long before I had to start asking questions.

Quad core upgrade sound like fun, i have been looking for an excuse to do that, and I think the board always supported it, but little of my software would utalise 100% of all 4 cores, because the most threaded anything was was 2 threads. I percieved that having a Quad would do the usual 50% of 4 with 2thread processes, and slower because Quads didnt go as high as the duels.

Services:
yes, like turning off the event service for example, and having the os go wackey, is a prime example.
plus other things going on . by using those symetic tools "file monitor" and "registry monitor", i was able to see crasy accesses to the registry and files going on. so much stuff going on when doing barely anything at all, it took a few days to shut enough stuff off to even read the outputs of the monitors. some things should never be seen :-)

I have specially made Batch files that can even turn off complete devices, so i would know if i was screwing up, or if a software is screwing up, because i can turn them off at will. Plus this stuff is done after things are working, or as it is already failing.

thanks for reminding me that i would get screwed with MS for the board change, even if the chipset drivers and all were similar, changing the board would be like re-doing the system all over again. and activation has always already been an issue, i have changed simple stuff like Hard drive before and got stuffed with an activation. 7 things supposedly and i am somehow always 2 away on each change, really i havent done a internal board change (like GPU or Riad) without re-activating, which isnt supposed to happen. But MS activation is simple, they have me on record for multiple purchaces, purchaces i dont even remember registering for.

Side Notes:
Adobee activation&registration for a simple Photo program, took 2-3 Hours over the phone once before THEY got it working through me. and i only had paid them $100 for the update, They probably lost more money trying to get thier stupid activation working than i spent on the program. what a waste. When it finnaly worked they didnt even know why, because the activation files they thought it would be using didnt even exist (it was a NT compatability activation i think instead)

Weird Batch that turns off my NET by disabling the NIC itself, stopping all I/O through the intra and inter net stuff completly. (No this will not work on anything else without it being set right for the device and having the parts and pieces.)

echo OFF
cls
C:\Desk\batch\DEVCON.exe >"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp\Rescheck" status *811A1043*
FIND /I /C "RUNNING" "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp\Rescheck"
IF %ERRORLEVEL% GTR 0 GOTO NOPROB
start /B "beeps" C:\Desk\batch\wav.exe C:\WINDOWS\Media\AppSounds\netdetecto.wav
ECHO driver is probably running
C:\Desk\batch\DEVCON.exe disable *811A1043*
exit
:NOPROB
echo driver is probably disabled
start /B "beeps" C:\Desk\batch\wav.exe C:\WINDOWS\Media\AppSounds\netdetectc.wav
C:\Desk\batch\DEVCON.exe enable *811A1043*
exit
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #17
Regular Crew

It's Christmas Day and I'm here forum chatting with you, Marty. How crazy is that?

It's all true about multicore processors vs. software threading, but most NLEs and graphics software these days are able to take advantage of more than 2 cores. Sony Vegas (I still think you should check out the trial. I think you'll like it) has been able to do it since version 7. Adobe implemented in CS3 although CS4 is much better at it.

It's obvious that you have plenty of computer knowledge and experience with Windows registy tweeking. I'm sticking to my guns though. I still think you'd be better off leaving the services alone. Software isn't developed for stripped down Windows registries. It's written for your Standard Joe Windows install.

Have fun and a happy New Year!
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #18
Major Player

cool, Merry Chrismas and all.
I just found a way to upgrade to Quad at my same speed for a mere $185 , happy day, i am glad i looked into that, thanks.
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

avchd headaches

Hey Chad just realized this was you on theforum. Any thoughts on what Imight use to cut avchd files? I have an I macg5 with final cut 6, but it doesn't seemto recognize the files. Are you getting lot of snow down your way?

Steve Lustgarten
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hey, Steve. Hope you had a nice Christmas.

AVCHD as a codec was really developed for viewing video, not so much for editing. It's best to transcode it to a different codec that's better suited for editing.

My favorite is Cineform. You can get a Mac version of Cineform's NeoScene for about $130. Here's a link: Cineform Neoscene

You could transcode it to Apples ProRes for free if you have Final Cut Pro 6 or newer. I like Cineform better, but free is free. When you use the log and transfer option within FCP you should be able to tell it to transcode to ProRes during the transfer from the camera.

Snow, yes indeed! About 7 inches I heard. I'm not going anywhere until the plows come by. Have a good one.
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Chad, It's Sunday and my first day out of the house. Fairly easy to get around now.
Trouble with Neoscene and Voltaic is they require Intel chips in the Mac, which I don't have on g5 imac. With fcp 6.0 it doesn't seem to see the mts files, but does see some mpg. and jpg. from the stills. Guess I need to watch for a mac book pro or something.

STeve
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Sorry, Steve. I missed the G5 thing. Apple won't support AVCHD at all on anything but the Intel Macs. That's a tough one.

VoltiacHD is supposed to work with PowerPCs. I've never used it, but the website says it's a universal Mac program for both PowerPC and Intel. This is from their site:

System Requirements
- OSX 10.4 or 10.5 (Intel and PowerPC)
- QuickTime (current release)
- Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC)
- iMovie (HD or 08) or Final Cut Express/Pro
- At least 1GB RAM
- Known technical issues

Here's the link tothe trial version: ShedWorx Download Page | ShedWorx

Give it a shot. Let me know how well it works.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #23
Regular Crew

It looks like I'll have to get another system anyway. Though I could see how much ram the Imac will take. Voltaic likes a lot of ram. I only have 784mb. Prby get 2gigs in there. I wonder what Joe Merlot, and Sharon Chardonnay will do with their xmas avchd videos of little Nathaniel???
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #24
Major Player

I demoed Vegas, that was not terrible (me trying to learn it)
This is where i am so far with that:

my KEY feature of trying to assemble 2 cams without breaking the video clips, i could not get to occur.
they have the "opacity" bar/band but it is not directally tweakable without clip splitting all clips but ONE , the lowest layer.
so, i find the place that i want the other cam Sp-|-lit the clip (quick) and /rubberband\ the opacity on both ends. then for post tweaking the change, carefull []-movement of the in/out and opacity rubber bands does not lose the sync. Dissolve length, time of each cam can all be adjusted carefully to tweak it into the right timing. One error in movement and i could have an out of sync clip.

Way 2, Doing "takes" with multicamera feature. cool, but not as precision as needed ( i would still want to tweak a bit).
Sync the 2 clips, SET a stock dissolve speed as locked in preferances.
PILE the 2 clips on top of eachother in non-visual mess of 2 clips on the same line.
Set it for Multicamera takes of that one line (with all the videos in it)
Select the View (take) i desire , Live , in slow time, or paused.
Hold the CTRL key down to do dissolves instead of cuts.

then i end up with a completly unmanagable Single track with multiviews all hacked up and transitioned between them. and dissolves of only One speed as adustable in preferances.

Then just like the first method, to Tweak the adjustments , carefull []- movement of the clip in/out points and adjusting of the /transition\ at the ends , and again one error and a clip can be torn out of sync, without me knowing it was out of sync.

still has major problems:
the single long Clips are now parts and pieces all over the place.
The first method, the clips are still on seperated lines, so Post mix color/luma adjustments are possible, total line clip shifing for re-syncing is probably also possible, even though the clip is now hundreds of parts and pieces, it is at least on its own line.

the second and most wonderfully fun easy method
the clips are parts and pieces all over the place AND piled all over eachother on the one line, making it totally impossible to do any other post work as needed, of any kind other than singling out specific clip(s) out of the pile.

Both methods take a simple transistion from one video to the other, into turning the 2 simple video lines into unmanagable parts and pieces. (which is fine if they were already parts an pieces)
i could imagine that a even more Simple Version or style of doing this would be wonderfull in the same program even. leave the clips alone in whole pieces, have a opacity LINE that is on its own line, then do the wonderfully fun takes things, with the Visual of the change being on its own line , say inbetween the 2 clips. (like we did with premiere)

Putting SIMPLE freaking SD-DV on the lines, the stupid program couldnt keep the frame rate of viewing without turning the picture into lower quality. I thought Vegas was supposed to be Fast??? at least it HAS a way to lower the view and maintain the framerate, but how am i supposed to Judge all aspects of the video needs, without SEEING it , Bla.
so it has Fast , and it has good, but not both at the same time. They should be embarassed that they cant real-time 2 full quality lines of DV with a good view, when we have been doing that with premiere 6 and storm edit for years.

also Net Framework??? sombody is joking right, hundreds of dollers for a "Pro" program, and the programmers work with the lowest level of programming in existance LOL.

Overall it is a very nice program, with a manuel that needs major help to reduce the Learning Curve. most of the complexities of these programs are unnessisary for most of what i do. I just am looking for a single very specific feature that simplifies 2cam, with vegas i could not yet figure out how to do that.

Last edited by Marty Welk; January 4th, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Marty try "Composte envelopes" I've been very succesful in doing up to three cams this way. You can do quick or slow fades, cuts etc. I've even went so far as to put up extra tracks to do a quick cut to a split screen worked very well...
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC