Trying to dodge the "squish" in VirtualDub at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trying to dodge the "squish" in VirtualDub

Hey guys,

I just downloaded the VirtualDub program, so I could use the MSU "old cinema" filter on some footage I originally edited in Premiere Pro CS3.
My problem is, when I open the 16:9 .avi file in VirtualDub, it displays it as 4:3 footage, both as input and output footage. I can change the display back to 16:9 so it looks correct in VirtualDub.....but when I save the new file (filters applied), Premiere opens the new .avi in 4:3, which is "squished". How do I work around, or totally eliminate, the "squish??
Or, is there a better way to get that "old cinema" look (lines, spots, flickering, like an old newsreel type effect) in Adobe PPremiere Pro Cs3, without using VirtualDub?
James Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I dont use that version of premiere, so take that into account:

the actual aspect that a video is displayed at , doesnt HaveTo relate to the actual horizontal and vertical pixels of the video. so the aspect a video was intended for is just a Identification tag. Virtual dub doesnt really worry about those tags :-) as meanless as they actually are to actual pixel aspects.
you can Right click on the virtual dub Display windows, and Set the aspect that your viewing in. so that solves the Viewing in V-Dub problem entirely. i have no idea if this would SET the tag on the output files.

then the aspect untagged output video, you can change your Aspect in premiere project settings in the VIDEO section of the PROJECT SETTINGS, then use the SETTINGS VIEWER and make sure that your 3 project settings all match the way you want them to. Even if the input aspect tag is 3/4 the output aspect tag can be 16X9 and as long as the Pixel res horizontal and vertial are unchanged , there will be no interpoation of the video itself .

when you go to make your final DVD thing the aspect that the display of the dvd is intending to be in can be set in the dvd authoring program, as (again) it is only a tag. Meaning you could just play with it here and there at 3-4 in all the programs, as long as the Pixels dont change, and TAG it on your output recording only.

I believe they use something like After Effects plug-in packages for doing a filtering like your discussing. if the program doesnt have that filter already built in. But i dont know for sure.

If your going to be doing additional filtering in premiere after having run a full recompress in virtual dub, your going to have more codec compression losses :-( than if you do ALL the filtration and adjustments in just ONE of the 2 programs. There are ways around that, like not re-compressing when comming out of v-dub.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks!

I don't know why I didn't think to look in AfterEffects for a similar filter....oops!
James Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Workman View Post
but when I save the new file (filters applied), Premiere opens the new .avi in 4:3, which is "squished". How do I work around, or totally eliminate, the "squish?
Go to the video in the assets panel, right click and choose "interpret footage", then change to 16x9.

By the way, even Windows Movie Maker has a pretty nice old video filter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC