Pinnacle Re-Install Question After Computer Reformatted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Pinnacle Re-Install Question After Computer Reformatted

My computer was recently reformatted. Files were saved but having to reload all programs.

I had Pinnacle Studio AV/DV version 9 and then received the Studio Plus Titanium Edition Upgrade Disk version 10.5 On the Studio 10 Plus CD cover it staes "a previous version of Pinnacle Studio, Studio Plus, Studio Quickstart or Studio SE version 7 or higher is required."

I don't want both Studio 9 and Studio 10 on the computer so what is the proper way to do this upgrade? Since it seems I have to load Studio 9 and then load the Titanium upgrade disk, can I then delete Studio 9 after the Titanium version is installed?

I don't want to overload this computer. Can the programs be loaded onto an external harddrive instead of onto the computer?

Thanks for the help.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Lisa..............

Most (all, that I've seen) software sold as an "upgrade only" requires some specified pre - existing software to be in residence.

If you load 9, the upgrade will do one of two things:

Copy all and any required format data from 9 to scratch disc, load itself then remove those portions of 9 that are now redundant.

OR

It will simply insert new code into the 9 framework, deleting unrequired code as it goes, then re - naming 9 to 10 (or whatever).

Either way, you should only end up with one set of software on your hard drive.

Never, ever, ever stick software (as opposed to data) on an external drive unless it has a connection/ transfer speed equal to or faster than your internal hard drive, and even then you do not want to be fighting through a stream of data to get code.

Load 'em both sequentially, you're good to go.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Major Player

In the past, in my experience, when installing a newer version of Pinnacle, if the previous version isn't already installed on the computer, the new upgrade version will ask you to insert the disk from the previous version to verify ownership, then you continue installing the new version. It was never necessary to reinstall the old version first.

There are surely threads explaining the procedure in the forums on the Pinnacle System web site.
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Late adding a reply. I was able to reload Pinnacle. I put in the Titanium edition CD and followed along until it asked for the previous one, added that and then back to the Titanium CD. Everything is working now.

Thank you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC