What can I salvage from my current NLE? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #31
New Boot

I tried the 9800 GT in my other box and it works. So I've done something in the building of my new machine that is affecting the displays. Could the MB be bad? Should I return it and try a new on?

Also, you guys can go ahead and laugh at this one cuz again, clueless here, but the Asus P6T MB, I assume I need to hook an internal speaker up to it somewhere? I ask this because I dont see anything on the board for this connection. Yes the MB is hooked up to the case audio, and that is hooked up to speakers but I'm not gonna get any audio from that until OS and drivers and stuff are installed right? So, if I were getting error beeps, how would I hear them?? Man, this building a new box stuff is confusing.
Paul N. Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #32
Major Player

Paul,

Are you sure you have the EATX12V connector plugged in properly? If you are looking at your motherboard in an orientation with the RAM slots in the top left corner, that connector will be in the bottom left corner. Try that... unseat that connector and reseat it.

As for the internal speaker, there is a connection for that on the system panel connector. The speaker plug will cover four jumper pins... +5v, Ground, Ground, Speaker. Try to get that speaker in there and then let us know which error beeps you get if the system still won't boot.

Lastly, simplify if you still won't boot. Take out all cards other than the video card. Populate only one bank of RAM (A1, B1, C1). Disconnect all SATA ports except your OS drive and DVD burner. If that gets the system to boot, add those things back in one at a time as a process of elimination to see what is causing the issue.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #33
New Boot

Craig, where do I send the case of beer my friend? Up and running! It was theEATX12V connector. Duh. Thanks for all your help.

Paul
Paul N. Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #34
Major Player

Paul,

Good to hear! Case of beer or Prod Prem CS5 upgrade... I'm good with anything =p

I'm sure one day I'll have a question that you can answer and then we'll be even. Until then, I'll just be happy that I could help. That's what these forums are for, and I've received plenty of help from others recently on issues that I hadn't had much time to study up on recently. Editing and having 3 young kids takes away from my time tinkering with new technology.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #35
Trustee

Hey Craig, Dell and HP should hire you to teach their tech support how to ACTUALLY do their job.

Good job!
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #36
Major Player

Steve, I formerly was an employee of Microsoft supporting their developer (programming languages) and enterprise server technologies. I also was an IT manager for a while. I decided to get into video production to explore my creative side, as the IT industry wasn't really feeding that need of mine. Now I have my own small production company (a one man band), and am a stay at home dad as well. It's a hard juggling act, especially given that my kids are young still. Company is growing slowly but steadily.

As far as Dell and HP (and most other companies), in my own opinion, the best thing they could ever do is move their support services back to the U.S. I used to solely recommend Dell machines for those that didn't need a custom machine, and over the past few years have realized that Dell apparently doesn't value product quality as much anymore. Further, calling tech support is a nightmare for those that I know, having to deal a lot of times with long hold times and overly empathetic customer service people with thick accents. I don't want to hear "I'm sorry sir" a million times in one phone call used as filler, I want someone who can diagnose using trained skills and not just read a bunch of questions off a checklist that I can find for myself online.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC