WMP, VLC and QuickTime at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

WMP, VLC and QuickTime

This may be a dumb question, but I would like to know what`s the problem

I have a video that I exported from Premiere and After Effects - tried both, and play it in Windows Media Player, VLC and QuickTime Player

You can see the difference in the attached picture. The picture in QuickTime and VLC looks a little bit washed out, while in WMP it looks just like in Premiere.

I exported it in H.264, but I think that`s not the problem because WMP is playing the same file, and it looks good.
Also, the same happens when I export QuickTime Animation from AE, VLC and QuickTime just doesn`t look good.

I`m using win7, and calibrated my lcd monitor if that helps..
Attached Thumbnails
WMP, VLC and QuickTime-player2.jpg  
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Trustee

There is a well-known issue with the way Quicktime translates the gamma of the image (more or less, the contrast of the mid-tones). I assume but do not know that vlc uses the qt engine for playback,but the qt translation issue is the problem....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC