Audio Fix-up/Enhancement Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 8th, 2002, 10:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio Fix-up/Enhancement Software

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post and I apologize if it is not. Feel free to move it! Just wondering if anyone knows of any audio software for adding effects and fixing little glitches etc. in audio. I was looking for somthing that might add a radio broadcast effect, or multiply one person's voice to sound like many, or even somthing simple like adding an echo or lowering the tone of someone's voice. Also if it could fix little glitches or maybe have some filters to correct audio. Looking for a free trial before I buy, but if there is no downloadable free trial that is ok. Thanks!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 12:30 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Scott,

I don't know what editing software you use for video and audio or whether you are using Mac or PC. I use Final Cut Pro and am able to do a few things with it to audio. With FCP, it's pretty easy to "punch" certain elements within a recording and to hide glitches simply by spiking the volume down for a brief period and patching the hole with sound from another portion of the recording. FCP also has an echo filter and various other sound enhancement and noise reduction filters.

Peak DV, which comes with FCP 3.0, is a full-blown audio editing program. You can do everything with it...that the standard set of plug-ins allows. You can find lots more plug-ins to add, though...some free...most not.

Anyway...that's the Mac/FCP slant on things. PC and Premiere info anyone?
Old November 9th, 2002, 02:03 AM   #3
Major Player

John,
Thanks for the reply. I unfortunately am on a PC with Premiere 6 (listed in my profile). I know about FCP 3 and how it has those extra filters and effects. I have done a little experimenting and research on FCP, but I am on a PC. I can't afford a Mac and FCP right now, and even if I could, it would probably go towards my camcorder and accessories purchases. I have done that spiking the volume down like you suggested before, and it works, but I was mainly looking for a effect and filter software. So if anyone knows of any PC sound software I would love to hear about it. Thanks for your help!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 08:32 AM   #4

Try Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3 or Sound Forge software. Also complement it with their Noise Reduction plugin...a terrific compbo. If you want to achieve the "tube" sound, a great DirectX plugin is Izotope Ozone...version 2 just released is terrific as a mastering tool, or a more expensive solution is WAVES.

Good luck
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2002, 07:50 AM   #5
New Boot

Agreed, Vegas or Sound Forge will both do many of the things you are looking to accomplish. Sound Forge is probably one of the most powerful audio tools available (IMO), and quite easy to use. You can get more info for both Vegas and Sound Forge at sonicfoundry.com.
magicman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC