Tips on getting good slowmotion, at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 11th, 2002, 03:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Tips on getting good slowmotion,

I need tips on doing a smooth slowmotion. Often It's not that good?
What are the limitations? How much has to be done on the camera?

Edit: I use DV 500, Sony DV Camera and Premiere 6.

I've never figured that part out fully. Thanks in advance!

/Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 04:56 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Well, I've done some slow motion tests (not very much or lengthy)
and it might be wise to use a faster shutter speed to get some
more clarity.

Anyone else has some more ideas?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Do you have them online so I can see your results and what settings you used?

Are there any semi proffesional cameras out there that can capture
more then 25, (29) frames per second?
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

I don't have anything to show you since I just tested and tried
a bit. Never did keep the results. Sorry.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Slow Motion

Howdy. Unforturnately there are several different ways to achieve smooth slow motion playback which means more trial and error. One that is described above is a good start, increasing shutter speed. This is called overcranking the camera in the film industry. If you have ever heard an Arri 435 screaming it's because its burning some major footage every second. When this film is played back at sound speed, it appears in slow motion. As far as your application, I typically choose a clip speed of 65%-75%, mostly 75% and then I apply the flicker remove feature. This removes some of the strobing that may occur. Other than that I think your going to have to spend some more money to achieve that super duper smooth, clear slow motion. Maybe the faster frame rate in conjunction with what I suggested would smooth it out even more.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 03:09 AM   #6
New Boot

Im intrested in doing this too. I want to film my dog shaking off water and slow it down. But keep it really smooth. So you can clearly see all the water droplets and everything.
Tylar Mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 03:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Water Droplets

If you want to do that, I would definitely use the higher shutter speed to capture the droplets.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 03:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Well, my own thoughts may help too.

I never do slowmotion under 50% and I always turn on "flicker removal" When doing this it helps alot but it still gets blurry and you can see it
doubleing the frames (kind of jerky) It might help if you can use frame mode (I really don't know) But I have not tried the shutter speed thingy yet, It's the only thin I have not tried yet. It's not that I have bad slowmotion but I figure it could be better. I mean if you watch eurosport and it's live they still have awsome slowmotion on the replays (compared to me)

I'm going to try some shutter settings and see what works best.

Thanks all for great responses!
Old November 12th, 2002, 04:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Overcranking

James,

overcranking and faster shutter speeds are different things.

You can adjust shutter speed on a DV camera - making it faster will result in less motion blur in each frame, at the expense of requiring you to open the iris to get the same exposure. But you cannot change the number of frames per second recorded (overcranking) - DV by definition is 25fps (PAL)/29.97 fps (NTSC).

When you slow down this DV footage you have to somehow interpolate new frames between the existing ones, and there are many different ways of doing this using NLE, or plugins, or hardware. Typically though, you get what you pay for here - smooth slow motion requires expensive software/hardware.

The only sort of cameras that will give you that crisp smooth slowmo are either film (overcranked) or horrendously expensive Thomson/Sony cinematography/HD jobs:) If you are using DV then you just won't get that Hollywood smoothness and crispness - sorry:)

Regards,

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 08:04 AM   #10

here's a suggestion that's fairly easy to follow: Vegas Video 3 has a slow motion feature that allows selection of "resampling". This feature interpolates intermediate frames to make the frame rate consistent with the native frame rate of the entire clip. A great feature...and it really smooths out those jerky slomo's.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 11:40 AM   #11
New Boot

I too am on a quest for better slo-mo. I use Virtualdub filters and an avs script to double the number of unique frames you can work with. Info for this process is at www.100fps.com.
William Brunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #12
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Ravens : here's a suggestion that's fairly easy to follow: Vegas Video 3 has a slow motion feature that allows selection of "resampling". This feature interpolates intermediate frames to make the frame rate consistent with the native frame rate of the entire clip. A great feature...and it really smooths out those jerky slomo's. -->>>

Hey Bill
Can you give us VV users a quick walk through on how to do that?
I've been just dragging a velocity enveloppe over it and grumbling quietly to myself about choppyness. :) BTW, I'm trying to get about 30% speed.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 04:00 PM   #13

EZ...

If you right click on the video track you want to resample...select "properties" in the window that opens. Once in the "properties" window, the default tab should be "Video Event". From this window, select the radio button..."RESAMPLE". Also, if you have noticed any flickering in highly detailed frames...like a shimmering...you can select the radio button "reduce interlace flicker" to do just that. It works great.

Good luck.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 01:32 AM   #14
Wrangler

Bill,
You Da Man!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 07:32 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Overcranking

Julian. Howdy. If you go back and read my post, you will see that I said "This is called overcranking the camera in the FILM industry." NOT video. I was just using a comparison of how slow motion is achieved.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC