Saving web page to an HD image file? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Saving web page to an HD image file?

I am doing a how-to video for a client's web site, and I need a way to save a web page to an HD image that I can import into my editor. So far, all I've found was capture software that takes a snapshot, but even by boosting resolution the images, and especially the text, retain jagged edges. I've compared the resulting image to zooming in on my browser window, and it's not close.

What I would like is something like a pdf maker that actually embeds the text, making it scalable without losing resolution. But every PDF maker I tried formats the web page for my printer, instead of my browser.

I couldn't find a way to do this in Dreamweaver.

Any proven solutions out there that offer TRUE high-resolution saving or capturing of a web page?

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a 24" LCD with 1920x1200 resolution and I simply use the "Print Screen" key to grab the screen, then go into Photoshop and crop/size as needed, looks good.

Jeff Pulera
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff, but "print screen" will only capture the visible part, not the whole page. And zoom in, you'll still see get jagged edges on text and graphics.
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Like Jeff, I use the "print screen" option for a screen grab and paste it into PhotoShop. If you want to show something with a cursor or other movement on the screen, programs like Camtasia give the solution.
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Again, "print screen" only captures the visible part of the web page. It's no good if you want to "scroll" through the page in the video.

I found several free programs that capture the whole page, including FireShot, a free plug-in for Firefox. But the problem remains the resolution.

Really, try this: zoom in the web page in your browser window, then zoom the screen capture at a similar size. the resolution isn't even close, and it really shows on an HD video.

J.
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I made the attached image with Snipping Tool, a free tool from Windows, as I recall. Look fine in Vegas in the Best preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Saving web page to an HD image file?-snipitresult.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Trustee

The images are already scaled down for web size. You'll need to save the web page (full save). It will save the page with images in a folder. You'll need to bring this up in Photoshop and 'up-rez' it in photoshop so that details are not lost. Export as a full quality HD image (TIFF, uncompressed, 1980x1080). Import into your NLE.

If the saving thing doesn't work out too well, then you can save as single HTML and import into Photoshop.

This is the best way I can think of. Hope it helps.
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Chris: thanks. A little fuzzy, but better than what I got so far. But it still only captures the displayed area - not the whole page.

Sareesh: I can't find a way to import HTML into Photoshop...

J.
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Major Player

You could just zoom in to the depth you need, and then PrintScreen+Paste each part of the page that you want to see, and then sew all the tiles together in Photoshop. The Photomerge feature will even line them up for you automatically if there is sufficient overlap. Ten you take the resulting huge image >1920 into AE or your NLE and pan and zoom around inside of it. (If in PPro, make sure to uncheck "Scale to Frame Size")
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
Sareesh: I can't find a way to import HTML into Photoshop...
J.
There are HTML to PDF/TIFF image converters (just google). then import into photoshop.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC