Dell Precision 670 with both processors installed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Dell Precision 670 with both processors installed?

Someone is offering me a Dell Precision 670 with both Xeon processors installed. I can't afford to upgrade my aging dual-core 2.2 GHz AMD system just yet, and was wondering whether the Dell system would provide a noticeable boost in processing power? Also, is it upgradable?

Thanks for any input.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Unfortunately, it is not worth the trouble of tracking down drivers for newer operating systems for that system. The Precision 670 is actually based on the now-obsolete Netburst line of Xeons (which were themselves based on the old Pentium 4 single-core and Pentium D dual-core processors). What's more, the 670's Xeons use a core that's very similar to the 90nm Prescott and Smithfield processors, which themselves run at very close to their thermal limit even at idle.

In other words, that system is now at least five years old, and no longer fully supported in current versions of Windows. And most currently available prosumer NLEs won't run at all on that system.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Randall, I'll just wait and upgrade my processor/motherboard for newer technology.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
Thanks Randall, I'll just wait and upgrade my processor/motherboard for newer technology.
Wise decision. But when you upgrade the processor and motherboard, you will also need to purchase new memory since your system's existing memory modules will likely not fit or work with new motherboards. And if your drives are old, also considering purchasing new hard drives and/or optical drives. And if you have an old graphics card, consider replacing it with a newer card when you upgrade the other components.

For the record, yes, the Dell Precision 670 does outperform your current AMD dual-core in video editing tasks. But why settle for that if that system is likely as old as, if not older than, your current setup?
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
Wise decision. But when you upgrade the processor and motherboard, you will also need to purchase new memory since your system's existing memory modules will likely not fit or work with new motherboards. And if your drives are old, also considering purchasing new hard drives and/or optical drives. And if you have an old graphics card, consider replacing it with a newer card when you upgrade the other components.
I've been upgrading components pretty consistently. I'm running SATA RAID drives and a GeForce 8600 GT, only the motherboard & CPU (and DDR 2) memory are due to be upgraded now.

I'm not upgrading to a Bluray burner for at least another year, or until I get a gig that requires it.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC