saving 16-9 files in studio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

saving 16-9 files in studio

G'day all,this is my first post so please be gentle! First of all let me get a little bit of cred' by saying I've ordered an I-mac with final-cut(thats no big deal really,till you know what I'm using now!!), but this question I can't seem to get an answer to from anyone?I'm running Studio 10.5 (Iknow it's old..stop laughing!!) on an even older Dell pc(laughing more???) which I got years ago to learn the basics(we didn't have computers in trade subjects at school!) and for that it works well,Ishoot with a Sony dcr-trv80e,in 16-9 which I capture,edit and burn to disc in 16-9 no problems but slow.The issue I've only just discovered is, if I send a finished project to a mppg2 or mpg4 file,it is saved in 4-3??,I've checked all the capture ,edit and file settings and all are in 16-9 and the raw video flie,(avi?/) is in 16-9,discs are burned in 16-9 also.I've only just started putting some of my clips on you-tube so thats when I noticed it,as all the footage in studio is fine?
Now ,Iknow I'm getting rid of it soon(very soon!!) but Ilike to know why things happen?,it's part of my 9-5 job to solve signalling problems so this is doing my head in,have I missed something really obvious,or should I set fire to it?
Ps..just realised I mentioned a mac on a PC forum....oops!,but I was a best boy once in a low budget film down here in Oz!,sorry about the rave,its lonely down here!!

Thanks and cheers Gregg.
Gregg Malmborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sounds like Pixel Aspect Ratio. TV pixels are not square, regular PAL TV pixels are rectangular with a width-to-height ratio of 1.09, for widescreen it's 1.46. Your software may not properly encode that info, you may rather try to 'stretch' image with software and force it to use square pixels, or find a way to get your output encoded with the correct P.A.R.
Andrew J Morin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC