Urgent Best Practice Workflow advice pls!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 18th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Urgent Best Practice Workflow advice pls!!

I am hope that somebody can advise best rendering solutions to maintain quality when handing footage between applications. My scenario is....

I record footage in 1080p or 1080i. I edit this in Sony Vegas 10 64-bit to a window size that is either 720p or DV size (720x576) widescreen for example. This allows for me to reframe shots to an extent etc. After editing I colour correct and make any final adjustments to the footage such as stabilisations. My problem is that I have a noise removal tool by red giant that works in After Effects CS5 (some of my footage is low light etc) and I run it through this quite alot as it's such an excellent tool to clean everything up. My problem is by the time I render out from vegas then again through after effects to either DV (m2v) ready format footage or mov for example it all starts to look a little pixellated, especially any text. Is there an advised format anyone can recommend to render out from Vegas with so that as little quality is lost as possible before handing it to After Effects and then to DV. Uncompressed is not an option for me as some of the clips can be over an hour long that I edit.

Hope somebody can advise a good work flow on this.

Many thanks in advance
Steve Quantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Urgent Best Practice Workflow advice pls!!

Hope this helps: Import Sony Vegas Projects to After Effects | BlueFx

If you are using effects/transitions that cannot be imported, then I suggest keeping your project file in 1080, output your clips from Vegas in 1080 and do your downsizing in After Effects (reframing as well). The best codec for this? You will need to run your own tests, as there are no standards.

Last edited by Sareesh Sudhakaran; April 19th, 2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 03:26 AM   #3
New Boot

Re: Urgent Best Practice Workflow advice pls!!

thanks and I had no idea after effects was capable of that. What a piece of software!!!
Steve Quantrill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC